1. Default East to West Road Trip (NYC to SF)

Hi everyone!

First, a massive thank you for this site - I only discovered it earlier this week and it has already been a massive help. I was hoping I could draw on some of your experiences and ask for your feedback on a trip I'm planning with my girlfriend later this year. We're leaving everything to travel for a while and work online a little whilst we're away! Our travels are starting with a five week long road trip across the USA! The list of cities we'll visit/stay are below alongside check-in/check-out dates. Does it look doable? I'd also love any feedback on different routes to take based on the general idea of what we've got. We've never done anything like this before so please be honest! Thanks in advance all!

30th July - 2nd August - New York

2nd August - 3rd August - Washington

3rd August - 4th August - Raleigh

4th August - 6th August - Charlotte

6th August - 8th August - Atlanta

8th August - 9th August - Nashville

10th August - 11th August - Memphis

11th August - 12th August - Little Rock

12th August - 16th August - Dallas/Fort Worth

16th August - 17th August - Oklahoma City

17th August - 18th August - Amarillo

18th August - 19th August - Albuquerque

19th August - 20th August - Holbrook

20th August - 21st August - Grand Canyon

22nd August - 26th August - Las Vegas

26th August - 27th August - Phoneix

27th August - 30th August - San Diego

30th August - 2nd September - LA

2nd September - 7th September - San Fransisco (including drive there up the PCH)

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

While what you've come up with would certainly work, it looks like a pretty bland trip to me. I mean, all you're doing is going from city to city to city, most of the time just spending a day there and moving on. You've given almost no time at all for any of the amazing natural wonders and National Parks of the US - with the exception of the 1 day you've got planned at the Grand Canyon, and your drive up the PCH (you need at least 2 days to enjoy the coast and drive from LA to SF, btw).

I guess my question for you is what do you hope to get out of this trip? If you love exploring cities, then this trip could work for you, but I know I like to get a lot more variety out of my trips.

You could improve this trip greatly by getting some good maps, such as those from AAA or Rand McNally. They will show you what scenic routes there are to choose from between your different destination, as well as other attractions along the way.

What I would change in a heartbeat is drop Phoenix and head from LV through Death Valley to Yosemite, before heading to SF. Then head down the spectacular PCH from SF (with the ocean and all the viewpoints on your side) to LA and SD. Allow 2 days for the drive from SF to LA, and at least two nights at Yosemite. More if you can. A night in Death Valley is also a wonderful experience.

That way you get to see at least three of the great wonders of the natural world. You could also take a couple of nights from LV and spend a full day in Zion, another amazing place.

The key to planning a trip is good maps.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 02-24-2016 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo

4. Default

Thanks both - great feedback already. I've ordered a Rand McNally map which will arrive today.

Michael, I agree that I felt we were just heading for big places and not really sure of what we could find in-between so I'm hoping the new map will help! That being said, the list above was just where we were planning to stay each night and doesn't include places we might visit on our drives so I really appreciate your input.

We were going to get the NP annual pass - is it worth it or will we actually get in free/low cost to most?

Lifey, the suggestion to go down from SF to SD actually works out better for us because flights to Vancouver are cheaper from SD! We also hadn't considered about being on the right side of the road for the sites, which is an excellent point.

Default Usually a good deal

Quote Originally Posted by bodger View Post
    We were going to get the NP annual pass - is it worth it or will we actually get in free/low cost to most?
    Usually an annual pass pays for itself if you visit four or more of the most popular national parks. But if you get onto the np website you can see the actual charge for each parek. From memory the Grand Canyon and Yosemite are $25 each - the ticket being valid for 7 days..

...flights to Vancouver are cheaper from SD!
    You are starting this trip in NY and flying out to Vancouver, so where is it you will be flying in from?

Lifey

Grand Canyon and Yosemite, along with Yellowstone/Grand Teton, are up to $30 entrance fee now, as of this year. Makes that $80 pass look pretty good!

Donna

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    You are starting this trip in NY and flying out to Vancouver, so where is it you will be flying in from?
    I should have mentioned in my first message that we're coming from London. I have family in Vancouver so will stay with them after our trip and then we have a few options for either heading to Australia or potentially Iceland before going back to Europe. We're going to see how things go and keep going for as long as we can.

As others have mentioned, the National Parks pass will pay for itself even if the only NPs you end up visiting are Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and Yosemite. The price of individual park admissions went up at many parks last year, but the annual pass remains $80.

That said, I'd certainly look to add several more of them to your trip. For example, instead of going from Washington to Raleigh and Charlotte, you might look at driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and visiting Smokey Mountain National Park. Alternatively, you might look at spending some time exploring the East Coast - places like the Outer Banks, Charleston, or Savannah.

There are lots of other National Parks out west, especially in the 4-corners states of Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. I would certainly look to spend more time exploring those natural areas, and good maps can really help give you a good idea of what your options would look like.

Default Maps, your esential tool.

As Michael said, good maps will help you plan this trip much better. If you can not get any locally, I suggest you purchase a wall map and put it up where you see it every day - just to get a good feel of where everything is and the relationship of one to the other.

As well, you should get detailed maps. These are available by purchasing a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now you will have it in a couple of weeks.

Depending on where you go after North America, I would get a good wall size maps of Iceland or Australia, so all their features and distances are familiar to you before you even start on your trip.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 02-24-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo

10. Default

Thanks all! I think we'll be buying the NP annual pass. We've had a huge wall map of the USA with our route ideas on it since mid last year and it has been great to keep everything fresh in our minds. Looking forward to going through the Rand McNally map when I get it. I'll be back soon to post an updated itinerary based on all your feedback.

Thanks again!