1. Default Salt lake city to rapid city

Hi folks. My husband and i are planning (well attempting to) our first trip to Yellowstone, GTNP & MT. Rushmore. We are planning 8 days flying into SLC and out of Rapid City. We will have no kids with us & really just want to see the most we can (we are 50). There are so many suggstions but many seem geared towards families with kids. Has anyone done this trip that can suggest any itineraries? We will be traveling mid July. Thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd think an 8 day trip would look something like this:
    Day 1 drive to Jackson, half day at Teton.
    Day 2 at Tetons
    Day 3/4 Yellowstone
    Day 5 Half day at Yellowstone, then Beartooth Highway to Billings.
    Day 6 Drive to Rapid City via Little Bighorn, Devils Tower, Western Black Hills/Deadwood (perhaps ending around Deadwood instead of Rapid).
    Day 7 Eastern Black Hills - Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Jewel or Wind Caves, Crazy Horse.
    Day 8, see anything else you can fit in around Rapid City before heading home.

Those aren't your only options, but it gives you a good idea of what you can do with 8 days. You've got time to see pretty much everything on your list, but you'll still have to keep moving.

Out of curiosity, have you priced out the costs of doing a one way trip? It's often very expensive to do a trip like this, in terms of airfare and car rental, especially when using a small city/airport like Rapid City.

3. Default

Thanks for some ideas. Actually, the airfares were pretty good. $506/person round trip from Hartford CT. Car rental was $30/day unlimited miles.

Joplin MO

No one way dropoff fee on the car?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Accommodation.

If you want to stay within the national parks, it is advisable to book a.s.a.p. Even the areas around Yellowstone book up fast. With its short season and the great demand it is essential you book accommodation in or near Yellowstone early.

6. Default

GLC - I'm booking with multiple destinations and it's the same price whether I drop off car at the same place or not. I'm a little surprised also.

Lifemagician- So I'm seeing. Need to hop right on this.

Thank you all!