A big hello to all the forum members and contributors from Scotland! Myself, wife, daughter (24) and son (10) are travelling from Scotland to your lovely country for road trip holiday. I see from other threads on here that you guys would prefer to see the full trip so you can advise accordingly (as opposed to me breaking it down into chunks). The loose plan at the moment is as follows:
1) Hire car at LAX when we land at 7pm on the 5th April.(Looks like we've got a Ford Escape - hope this is man enough for the trip...advice welcome!) Stay in LA for 2 nights.
2) Leave on the 7th am and drive up Highway 1 to San Luis Obispo, with a stop at Santa Barbara or anywhere else we see along the way (again, advice welcome!). Stay the night of the 7th in San Luis Obispo
3) Drive to Monterey and stay there the night of the 8th. Do the aquarium (the wee fella loves sea creatures!), then drive to San Francisco late afternoon/evening.
4) Stay 3 nights in San Francisco (suggestions welcome on what to do whilst here- Alcatraz and Pier 39 on the cards so far), then drive to Las Vegas
5) Depending on advice from the good people of this forum, I'm looking to see how long we should take to go to LV. I would love to see Yosemite NP and Death Valley, but not too sure of what is possible at this time of year. Do it in a day - 1 night, 2 nights? I don't want to miss anything major....I'm reading that the Tiago Pass will be closed in April.
6) Going to spend a few nights in Vegas, then drive to San Diego (the wee fella wants to do the zoo!), then back to LA for a flight home on the 19th.
I'm looking for any suggestions, comments or ideas on the above from the experts on here. I think we are reasonably well sorted for the first part of the trip from LA to San Fran....but the rest is a bit harder.
Thanks in advance for your help.