1. Default Late April Denver to Denver Family Road Trip

Planning a road trip with the family Late April 2016. We want to do a circle and see as much as we can in 10 days. My brother is stationed in Colorado Springs, we would like to surprise him and stop by and see him to start our trip. I have routed out circle, but I need some help narrowing it down. I realize it is too much for 10 days reading some other posts. I realize that "road trip" is just that being in the road, but we also want to stop and enjoy some of these great places. So bare with me I know this is too much, but what should be cut out? especially give the time of year, I realize summer would be better, but this when we can go.
    1. Denver to Colorado Springs
    2. Garden of the Gods
    3. Great Sand Dunes
    4. Mesa Verde NP
    5. Canyonlands NP
    6. Arches NP
    7. Dinosaur National Monument
    8. Salt Lake City
    9. Teton
    10. Yellowstone NP
    11. Badlands NP
    12. Mount Rushmore
    13. Rocky Mountain NP
    14. Denver

That's it - lol. Open to suggestions. Thanks for anyones help in advance. I have mapped it out 3 times now and the circle keeps multiplying but unfortunately my days off are not.

Lantz Family

South of England.

Default Too much me thinks.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

Yellowstone doesn't fully open for the summer season until late May to mid June and would be tough to fit into your schedule even in summer with just 10 days and given everything else on your list. Yellowstone and the Tetons really demand 3 days just to get around the highlights. If you want to stop and enjoy the places you are visiting I would consider leaving Yellowstone and the Tetons along with Rushmore and Badlands etc for another trip and enjoy more of Southern Utah's parks [Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon, Zion] or possibly drive through Monument valley to the Grand canyon. It would still be quite a packed trip but more time would be spent out of the car and enjoying the fresh air and scenery.

Tucson, AZ

Default I Concur

If, as I suspect, your ten days includes the days at the beginning and end of the trip when you'll be flying into and home from Denver, then you literally would have no time at all to actually see the places you're driving to. You need six days, absolute minimum, to just do the driving to complete your loop. Spend a day with your brother's and a day on either end traveling, and your time is all gone. In addition to the places that Dave suggested you skip, I'd also say that Salt Lake City can wait for another trip. That would leave you with a very nice compact loop through western Colorado and southeastern Utah where you'd actually have a little more time out of the car than in it, and still see a number of great national parks.

Last edited by AZBuck; 02-20-2016 at 06:09 PM.