Thread: San Diego ideas

1. Default San Diego ideas

We are a couple in our thirties from the UK (no kids) and are looking for ideas for a road trip (can either be one-way or circular) which would involve San Diego. We've got San Diego Comic Con tickets for one day, but would like to explore more to make the trip across the Atlantic worth it! We're thinking something like 14-18 days including at least July 24 in San Diego - we'd likely be hiring a car for the whole time.

We've done a few road trips in North America, including one in California/Nevada where we did a Orange County - Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco - LA round trip (we've also driven round the Great Lakes & Florida). Ideally we'd like to explore places we've not been before, so I was thinking something along the lines of Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Phoenix, possibly some of Texas, maybe as far as New Orleans. Another option might be going up (or down) the West Coast to Seattle, even if this would repeat some of our previous trip - and I know there are a lot of posts on here that cover that trip already. So I'm interested to see if anyone thinks there are options other than up the West Coast with plenty of things to see/do. We don't really want to go into Mexico, as I think this would be hassle with the hire car / border crossings etc.

The kind of things we like are theme parks, beautiful scenery (although we aren't too keen on long hikes in the hot weather or strenuous outdoorsy activities), interesting cities and good food (one of us is vegetarian). We don't drink every night but we'd quite like to go to a cocktail bar or two along the way too.

We haven't yet decided where we would be flying in or out of in the States, so we can be flexible (although the cheaper the flights from Manchester UK the better!).

Thanks in advance - any ideas much appreciated!

South of England.

Default Local intel.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

One of our regular posters just happens to live in the area and has compiled a list of interesting places to visit here. Donna also has a 'Staycation thread' that you should check out.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Basic Five Day Loop

One of our 'usual' recommendations to people, especially for fly/drive RoadTrips, is to make the driving portion a loop, starting and ending in the same city. A nice loop that includes San Diego would go: San Diego, Los Angeles, Pacific Coast Highway, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park (NP), Salt Lake City, Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, Zion NP, Grand Canyon NP, Phoenix, San Diego. Such a loop would take five to six days to drive, leaving you plenty of time to spend at the many great sites along it. You also avoid a one-way drop off fee on your rental car. But perhaps most importantly, you can use any major city along the loop as your gateway city, choosing the one that gets you the best round-trip airfare from the UK, and having San Diego be in the middle of the loop. And although I didn't include them in the above loop, with minor changes to the loop Las Vegas and Denver are also possibilities for your gateway.

Southern California

Thanks for the plug, Dave. :-)

Disneyland is an hour-and-a-half (or so) drive from San Diego. Universal Studios is another 45 minutes beyond that, but honestly it is going to be a crowded year there. They are opening The Wizarding World of Harry Potter California on April 7th so it's going to be busy-busy-busy! About 3-4 hours from San Diego, depending on traffic, is Magic Mountain theme park, home to many roller coasters.

Not yet written up in my San Diego thread is Belmont Park, located in San Diego County. Lots of rides there, including an older refurbished wooden roller coaster. Also not yet written up is Legoland, in Oceanside. I only write about what I've actually been to, and I have yet to go to either of these.

Donna in San Diego County