1. Default Road trip with the buddies

A couple of friends and I are planning on going on a trip somewhere around 2 weeks in length towards the end of May. We are leaving from Southeast Missouri and will be heading out West to see things like Monument Valley, Coyote Butte, and other things like that. We plan on circling around, going up through Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska on our way back to Missouri. We are in the beginning stages of planning and I'd like to know your suggestions for sights to see, things to do, and some things that would just knock it all out of the park. We'll be going through Oklahoma, North Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska. Thank you all!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Two things to start with.

hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The first thing you and your buddies need to do to ensure you will still be buddies at the end of this trip, is take this quiz. Each of you take it individually, and then start planning keeping in mind the results.

The next thing is to get hold of good detailed maps, such as are produced by AAA (free to members) and Rand McNally. When you have these, follow the advice in this paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Good detailed maps show you all the routes at your disposal, hilighting the scenic routes. They show all the places along the chosen route, and many, if not most of the sights and attractions along whichever route you plan to take. Good maps are invaluable during the planning stage - showing you so much more than you will ever see on a little screen - and they are essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics. Many have done so at their peril, some fatal.

Enjoy the planning.

South of England.

Default Time soon goes.

What you have to remember is that mapping programs time estimates are pure fantasy when planning, as they do not allow for 'real world' needs and disruptions that we humans have to bear. The need to eat, rest, sleep and go to the bathroom, the traffic congestion and road construction and just being able to get out the car and enjoy the air and views on offer. I mention this as you could potentially already have a weeks worth of driving if you are to loop up into Wyoming and Nebraska so it might be worth considering enjoying Utah and Colorado on the way back and enjoying more of the scenic wonders, that will depend on your interests. A National parks annual pass available for just $80 for the car and all occupants would gain you entry to some of the most amazing places on the planet, the Grand canyon, Zion, Bryce canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Mesa Verde, Black canyon, Rocky mountains and the Great sand dunes are just some that you could choose to visit. You could also drive great scenic roads like Utah scenic 12, the 'Million dollar Highway' on US550 in Colorado. These are just a few of thousands of attractions and routes available and that's why you need to do a little research as suggested above and get some more dots on the map for us to give meaningful help. If you really want to go into Wyoming and Nebraska for places in particular that's great as well but I wouldn't just for the sake of it when there is so much more to see and enjoy out of the car.

4. Default

We aren't completely dead set on doing the the whole loop, considering there is so much to see we may just go head out and return on a similar Route instead of the loop.

Green County, Wisconsin

Everything is going to depend upon exactly what you end up deciding you want to see, but driving back on a similar route probably wouldn't save you much in the way of time. It looks like everything you want to do is between I-40 and I-70 or I-80 (depending if you end up going as far north as Wyoming), so it would probably end up making more sense to use one of those routes heading west and another coming back east.