1. Default Garden Grove, CA to Lawton, OK with teens and kids - please help

My eldest son is at Boot Camp in Fort Sill, OK and will be graduating on March 18th with Family Day on the 17th. I have kids aged 17, 15, 11 and 9. My husband will be out of town that week. I'm thinking we should leave on the 15th. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas of interesting things to see, where I should plan stops, a hotel about halfway to Lawton? I'd appreciated any suggestions. Thank you!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What time do you have to be there on the 17th? If you want to be there first thing in the morning, I'd give serious thought to leaving the evening of the 14th.

The trip you're talking about is at the very maximum of how far you can safely drive in 2 days - in fact, it's actually a bit more than we generally recommend. If you do in in 2 days, your overnight stop pretty much has to be Gallop, NM which is just a bit over halfway. It is also a 650 mile drive, which means a solid 12+ hours on the road, assuming you don't hit any major traffic or other delays. At that pace, there is no need to worry about interesting things along the way, as you won't have time to do anything other than stop at rest areas, gas stations, and maybe a fast food stop, and you're all going to be quite tired by the time you arrive at your destination.

Doing this trip with several children, and being that it sounds like you might be the only driver, I'd really try to give yourself at least 2.5 days for the trip. If you don't have to be there in the morning, I'd look to stop in Holbrook, AZ and Amarillo TX, and save the last 200 miles for the 17th.

3. Default

I'd like to be well-rested since we have to be there at 8am on the 17th. I'm flexible and will happily leave on the 14th if that's better for me and the kids. Should we stay overnight in Holbrook, then again in Amarillo?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default smart thinking

If you can leave the morning of the 14th, that would certainly work - and give you the entire afternoon of the 16th to relax in Lawton.

Otherwise, if you want to leave on the afternoon of the 14th, you could shoot for Needles CA/Laughlin NV/Kingman AZ the first night, and Albuquerque the night of the 15th.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Keep them occupied with maps.

If you have good maps of the States you will be travelling through, I would give them to the three older ones, and get them to navigate for you. they will also get to see all the attractions along the way, and what else there is in the vicinity of your trip. Perhaps you will have more time to stop at some of them on the way home. Learning to read good maps is an essential skill for all of them to learn.

If you do not have good maps, AAA has excellent maps (free to members). If you do not yet have a roadside assistance package, that would be a good idea as well.

Have a great trip.

Joplin MO

Note that the best way in to Lawton from Amarillo is off the Interstates - US-287 to TX-256 to US-62.