Thread: Ne fl > so cal

1. Default Ne fl > so cal

Moving on a budget this summer from Florida to California, and we plan to take 10 all the way. We have basics mapped out (where to stay, two longer sightseeing stops, etc), but we're traveling with our 7 year old, a small dog, three mild mannered cats, and a moving trailer. Looking for any and all insights from experienced travelers. Best rest stops/picnic areas, pet related items to make things easier, preparations I may have overlooked, cute touristy pit stops along the way, etc. Also, desert driving: what to expect.

Default R&R link.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Often a city park does the job to let child and pet run around and let off some steam but you will find lot's of ideas for places to R&R along I10 in this thread. You will need to find 'Pet friendly' Motels which you can search for using the 'Roadtrip Motels' search box to the right of each page. If you want any other specific advice it would help others if you were to post your itinerary to see what you may have time for and what not.

Welcome to RTA!

Also, desert driving: what to expect.
    It will be hot! You will probably be running the A/C in your car for much of the western end of your trip. Earlier in the morning can be a little cooler, if you can start those days in the wee hours of the morning. If you see signs to turn off your A/C as you ascend into mountains, it is important to do so to avoid overheating your engine. This is especially true when you are towing a U-haul type trailer.

What sightseeing stops are you making?

Donna

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

What sightseeing stops are you making?

Donna
    Hi Donna! Thanks for the advice about using the A/C. I had no idea, that's for sure. We have a sunroof in our car, and I'm hoping by opening up the roof and the windows partway, we won't need the A/C all the time on the western half of our drive. We plan to stop for at least a day and a half in New Orleans. I've been there once, but my fiancee and daughter haven't, so why not? I'm also hoping to stop in Tucson to spend some time with my cousin and her husband (about another day and a half). Maybe lunch with an old high school friend in Texas. Other than that, no extended stops besides brief overnights along the way, but we really want to push through Texas (besides the lunch thing) for personal reasons (full disclosure: we're a lesbian couple and an interracial family).

Ali

5. Default

Thanks Dave! I'm excited to tool around the forum more and more to glean as much knowledge as possible!

I had no idea, that's for sure. We have a sunroof in our car, and I'm hoping by opening up the roof and the windows partway, we won't need the A/C all the time on the western half of our drive.
    Up at some of the higher elevations, you may be able to open up the sunroof. But from Las Cruces west, you may not want to do so.

I'm also hoping to stop in Tucson to spend some time with my cousin and her husband (about another day and a half).
    It would be warm, but the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, near Tucson, is a great day outing to do with your cousin and her husband. Your 7-year-old will probably love seeing the desert animals that they have there, and learning about some of the plants/cacti of the desert. Another idea would be to drive through the western section of the Saguaro National Park, which is fairly close to the Desert Museum.

Donna

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Up at some of the higher elevations, you may be able to open up the sunroof. But from Las Cruces west, you may not want to do so.

It would be warm, but the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, near Tucson, is a great day outing to do with your cousin and her husband. Your 7-year-old will probably love seeing the desert animals that they have there, and learning about some of the plants/cacti of the desert. Another idea would be to drive through the western section of the Saguaro National Park, which is fairly close to the Desert Museum.

Donna
    Oh, I love Tucson. I definitely spent a generous chunk of my childhood there with extended family. I'm also prepared for the dry heat (vs. the wet, tropical Florida heat we deal with now). I actually do remember the Desert Museum as being a really neat place! You're right; my kiddo would probably love it. She's a big fan of animals. As for not having the sunroof open at higher elevations, is that because of the direct heat? Probably a good idea to invest in a sunshade for the windshield and some of those suction cup shades for the backseat passenger windows. What about a summertime emergency car kit? Any ideas for what to keep close by...besides tons of water and sun screen?

Default All that and a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by AliB View Post
    As for not having the sunroof open at higher elevations, is that because of the direct heat?
    It's the other way around. Open the roof at higher elevations, where it is cooler, and keep it shut at lower/hotter elevation.

What about a summertime emergency car kit? Any ideas for what to keep close by...besides tons of water and sun screen?
    And hats! I'd also suggest you have a cooler with ice to ensure the drinks are cold, and to be able to keep some refreshing snacks.

For emergencies, your best bet will probably be to take out a roadside assistance package, such as AAA. Small price to pay for any eventuality. The top package allows for long distance towing, should it be necessary, since at times you will be in relatively remote country.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 02-13-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: correction