1. Default Denver to Las Vegas early April

We are flying into Denver from Uk at the end of March (because we can fly from our local airport) and have planned 23 days for a road trip to include Grand Canyon, monument valley, Route 66 and Las Vegas. Given the weather in spring we are happy to stick to I 25 and I40 rather than a round trip back through the Rockies, so accept that we will be heading back the same route. So the current itinerary is
    Denver 3 nights, Las Vegas NM 2 nights, Albuquerque 3 nights, Flagstaff 3 nights, Las Vegas 2 nights, Grand Canyon 2 nights, Monument valley 1 night, Gallup 1 night, Sante fe 3 nights, Alamosa 2 nights, Denver final night before we fly home.
    Does this look reasonable? We like small town USA so not sure about Albuquerque, but need somewhere to break journey. Want to see Las Vegas Az just to say we've been. Not sure whether Trinidad co would be better than Las Vegas NM. Most worried about the weather at high altitude at this time of year having read some of the other posts.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Default Don't assume anything.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

With regards to the weather, I wouldn't assume anything. It's possible that 170 through the Rockies will see bright weather in the same way that I40 could see a storm, there is just no way of knowing. The main thing to keep in mind is that all Interstates are built and maintained to keep traffic moving and in the Rockies they are very good at it, as they have the equipment and practice/skill to deal with it. I would encourage you to re-think the 'loop' idea as you would see so much more that way and could include a trip to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands NP which is on a natural route between Denver and Monument valley and the Grand canyon.

3. Default Taking a northern route

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to RTA !

With regards to the weather, I wouldn't assume anything. It's possible that 170 through the Rockies will see bright weather in the same way that I40 could see a storm, there is just no way of knowing. The main thing to keep in mind is that all Interstates are built and maintained to keep traffic moving and in the Rockies they are very good at it, as they have the equipment and practice/skill to deal with it. I would encourage you to re-think the 'loop' idea as you would see so much more that way and could include a trip to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands NP which is on a natural route between Denver and Monument valley and the Grand canyon.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did originally look at that route, but it means cutting short some of the things in New Mexico and also less time exploring Route 66 so have decided to stick to our original plan. If flying into Denver works out for us then we can come back next year later in the year and cover more of the Rockies and Wyoming.

I don't understand your planning.

I totally understand that there are things you want to see in New Mexico, so it makes tons of sense to go via I-25 to I-40 one direction. What doesn't make much sense to me is backtracking so you have to drive it twice.

What you listed is going from Monument Valley, down to Gallup and Santa Fe, before going back up to Alamosa on the way back to Denver - yet, you'd be driving either through, or very close to both Santa Fe and Gallup on your way from Denver to Las Vegas. Why wouldn't you just visit SF and Gallup on the drive west, and then you'd be able to take a new - and much more direct - route from Monument Valley back to Denver? Or, alternatively, drive directly from Denver to Las Vegas via I-70/I-15, and then hit all of your New Mexico stops after Monument Valley, before returning to Denver?

Hi !

Looking at you original itinerary

Quote Originally Posted by Twopodners
    Denver 3 nights, Las Vegas NM 2 nights, Albuquerque 3 nights, Flagstaff 3 nights, Las Vegas 2 nights, Grand Canyon 2 nights, Monument valley 1 night, Gallup 1 night, Santa Fe 3 nights, Alamosa 2 nights, Denver final night before we fly home.
    I’d think about changing it just a little, something like this:

Denver 3 nights, Las Vegas NM 2 nights, Albuquerque 3 nights, Gallup NM, Flagstaff 3 nights, Las Vegas 2 nights, Grand Canyon 2 nights, Monument Valley 1 night, Durango CO or Chama NM, Santa Fe 3 nights, Taos NM, Alamosa 2 nights, Denver final night before we fly home.

That way you wouldn’t have to go from Monument Valley all the way back down to I-40.

Even though Taos Pueblo will be closed from March 1st though April 25th, it would still be a good town to visit before you head back up to Alamosa and Denver.

6. Default

Thanks for the suggestions. I settled on our route based on some of the other forum topics which seemed to imply that Spring could be difficult driving. Anyway we are used to doing return journeys on the same routes in the uk. M6/m74/A9 to Scotland, and it always surprises me how different the scenery looks from the opposite direction. It seems that although not the optimum route it's doable in the timescales, and we are looking forward to exploring Route 66. Thanks for everyone's comments.