Default Ticos Roadtrip to Las Vegas

Hello friends,

I am new on this forum. We are a group of 4 friends from Costa Rica and are going to the US on May.

I would like to expose you our road trip plan to hear from your opinion and see if you have any good suggestion.

The trip is as follows:

Sat May 28th Arrive to LAX at 22:30
    Sun May 29th Fool around LA (Santa Monica, Griffith Observatory, Beverly Hills, etc.)
    Monday May 30th Universal Studios (In the night drive to Bakersfield)
    Tuesday May 31st Sequoia Natl Park - Return to Bakersfield
    Wednesday Jun 1st Drive from Bakersfield to Death Valley Natl Park and then to Las Vegas
    Thursday Jun 2nd Las Vegas
    Friday Jun 3rd Drive to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon South Rim
    Saturday June 4th Drive from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas
    From June 5th to 7th Stay in Las Vegas
    Wednesday Jun 8th Drive to LA
    Thursday Jun 9th Fly back home

It would be great if you could check out to give your thoughts and also provide best driving hours to get out of LA, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a good plan, with a couple areas for improvement.

You're kind of rushing through Sequoia and Death Valley. It's not impossible to do what you've got planned, but both of those days you're going to be spending a bare minimum of 5-6 hours driving just to get to and from the parks. You're also leaving off Yosemite, which certainly is worth consideration - and if Tioga Pass is open (it typically opens between mid-May and late-June) it would give you an option to get to Death Valley that wouldn't require backtracking.

The other area where you could save yourself some time would be with the Grand Canyon. It would make more sense to do all of your exploring in Vegas when you get there, go to the Grand Canyon, and then head directly to LA, rather than doubling back north to Vegas.

Default LA to GC [?]

I would reverse the trip so that you go direct from LA to Grand canyon and then to Vegas for your stay. After Vegas drive through Death valley and up US395 to CA120, the Tioga Pass into Yosemite and then head back to LA via Sequoia, or depending on time you could head to Sequoia via Bakersfield. [ If I had to choose between Yosemite and Sequoia, I would choose Yosemite.] You could get a little way out of LA on the 30th and then continue to GC on the 31st and witness a sunset. On the afternoon of the 1st drive to Vegas via Hoover dam and spend a few nights in town. On the 4th drive through Death valley, perhaps stop around Bishop or Mammoth and then spend the 5th and 6th in Yosemite. Drive to Sequoia on the 7th and stay nearby and on the 8th head back to LA. That's just a suggestion for one of many ways you can divide your time but it saves backtracking from Bakersfield and Las Vegas and keeps you moving 'forwards'.

Quote Originally Posted by franco.sf View Post
    Hello friends,
    It would be great if you could check out to give your thoughts and also provide best driving hours to get out of LA, etc.
    Thank you in advance!
    ˇBienvenidos a RoadTripAmerica!

It isn't just the best time getting out of LA, but also the best time getting back into LA (or the LAX area for your fly home). The rush hours are notoriously long in the Greater Los Angeles area and that is a HUGE area. Sometimes there is even a "lunch hour" rush hour. My rule-of-thumb for the rush hour plagued cities is something like 6-10a and 3-7p. Some areas are better in one direction than the other at different times of the day. During the weekends the rush hour can run between 10a-5p, more or less.

Last October, on an early Friday afternoon, I was surprised to see the traffic slow from Palm Springs to Riverside on the I-10 West (it was bumper to bumper going East).

One useful tool for scouting out rush hours is Google Map's traffic utility. If you log-in to Google, search for Los Angeles in Google Maps, and select the traffic option, you will see a bar at the bottom center of the browser. The default is for "Live Traffic." Select "Typical Traffic" and play around with the day of the week and time of day for a sense of the traffic patterns.

Also, a cautionary, with Memorial Day being May 30, 2016, a long 3-day holiday beginning Friday, May 27 through Monday, May 30th.

Default Holiday weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by landmariner View Post
    Also, a cautionary, with Memorial Day being May 30, 2016, a long 3-day holiday beginning Friday, May 27 through Monday, May 30th.
    Be sure to get your accommodation for this weekend locked in as soon as you can.

Lifey

Hello!

Thanks for your replies.

And what do you know or think about going to Universal Studios on May 30th?

Regards,

Default Busy, busy, busy......

Why wouldn't you go? What else are you going to do?

On a holiday weekend everything and everywhere will be busy. Just make allowance for it, and enjoy.

Lifey

This year, no matter what day you choose, Universal Studios California is going to be VERY busy, VERY crowded. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, California-version, is opening there in mid-April, and Harry Potter fans on this side of the country will be flocking to see it.

Donna