Default Help planing a trip starting from Chester SC to Gatinburg TN

We are planning to go on vacation to the USA (from Wales in the UK) at the beginning of June this year. We will be flying in to Atlanta on the 2nd( we will be staying at an airport hotel the first night as we have a late flight) We did a road trip last year also starting From Atlanta which took in Nashville, Memphis and the smoky mountains. We have already booked our 2nd night in Chester SC. we would like to see some of the blue ridge parkway and surrounding area. We have a cabin booked in Gatlinburg from the 8th of June .My husband does all the driving and doesn't mind driving 3/4 hours to each destinations. So any advice on which routes to take and what to see would be much appreciated thank you.

Tucson, AZ

Default With What You've Given Us to Go On

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are two bits of information that are pretty much essential to get the best advice from people: How long you have for your travels and what you would like to see. We can guess from what you have to say that you have roughly two weeks and would like to experience rural and rustic on this trip rather than urban settings. Let us know if that's not the case, but in the meantime we can offer some suggestions that would fit if those assumptions are correct.

If you were t drive more or less direct from Chester to Asheville near the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then drive the parkway all the way north to Front Royal, it would take you about five days of 3 hours a day driving, so you would not be able to do the entire stretch within your stated parameters. The Parkway is a very slow road, scenic but twisty with a fairly low speed limit. So, if you're going to have to be in Gatlinburg on the 8th, you'll need to get off the Parkway after only four days at the most, or roughly around I-64. That would take you west to I-81 south and finally US-321 into Gatlinburg. And while it's true that I-64 and I-81 are motorways, not rural roads, they are scenic.

Spending your five days from Chester to Gatlinburg this way would put your overnight stays at roughly Grassy Creek and Stone Mountain State Park in North Carolina; Montebello and Wytheville in Virginia. From Gatlinburg you could make it in one easy day back to Atlanta by going through Great Smoky Mountains National Park on US-441 to US-23 south to the Atlanta area.

Thank you so much for your reply to my question, since posting our Plans have completely change. We are now heading to the Outer Banks NC, (so many places to see and not enough vacation time to see everything). We will be heading out from Chester and stopping overnight in Rocky Mount before going on to Nags Head in the Outer Banks for two nights, then stopping at Burlington NC on the way to Gatlinburg.