Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Daughter/Son-in-Law driving from CA to NE middle of February towing UHAUL trailer

Okay, I am freaking out. Neither one of them have driven in snow, over mountains, or towed a trailer. This does not seem like a good idea to me. But I am the mother. They are purchasing a new Subaru Forester for the trip. Is there a safer, flatter, more southern route to take or should I hide their keys? Please help :)

If mothers were in charge we'd all still be living in thatched huts in Europe because crossing the ocean is too dangerous....... (just kidding - my mother still worries and I'm just about at retirement age....)

It's the job of mothers to worry. And it's the job of kids to do it anyway. The vast, vast, vast majority of the time it works out just fine. And when it doesn't go as planned - that's when adventures and memories are born. (for the kids)

A brand new AWD car is a plus in the risk reduction category.

But if one suggestion would make a difference I'd suggest they avoid I-70. Crowded with skiers and puts them travelling thru Denver. Southern route isn't really any better for weather so it's up to the storm systems that they'll be facing at the time.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You haven't said where in CA they are starting from, where in NE they are going, or what route they are taking, so we can't really guess if the route they are considering is the best option.

I will say I don't particularly like the idea of buying a new Forester for this trip. Assuming we're talking about an actual new car here, towing is generally not recommended at all until after it's been broken in. Also, the new Forester has a very limited towing capacity. I believe the maximum recommended towing weight is 1500 lbs, so the largest Uhaul trailer they could use is a 5x8. Even that weighs 900 lbs completely empty, so it wouldn't take much to be maxing out the towing capacity.

I've got an older generation Forester (2013) which does have a higher towing capacity than the current models, and I'll be honest, it doesn't handle towing as well as I'd hoped when I purchased it. Solid vehicle overall, but my old V6 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) did a better job towing.

If this is a move, I'd rent a uhaul truck, and wait to get a new Subaru until after they arrive at their new home. Even if the truck costs more, it will be easier, and it could save money in the long run by not putting a large amount of stress on a new vehicle.

Also, why buy a car with California emissions controls just to take it to a state that doesn't have those requirements? And - why pay California fees and taxes when you will have to reregister it in Nebraska within 30 days and pay their fees and taxes?

Default It is in the nature of motherhood.

Aww! Lizzie, I know just what you are going through. Been there five times, and now the oldest grandchild is about to get her licence.

Have confidence that in your mothering you have given your daughter the basics of sensible and safe behaviour, on the road and elsewhere. Rather than hide their keys, why not spend time reading through the winter trip forum, and gather all the information and advice offered there. Pass it on with love and reassurance that you know they will be OK if they do the right thing - i.e. watch the forecasts and follow the route least likely to see a winter storm. Stick to the interstates, travel limited distances each day, treat it as a marathon and don't be tempted to go further than planned. Have a day to spare in case a surprise storm blows up. Then get off the road, till all is clear again, before moving on. Make contact every day.

Believe it or not, they will be fine, as will you, once you know that all went well. But don't worry about being concerned, it shows your love for them.

Lifey

If they are sticking mainly to Interstates and main highways there will be no 'death defying' mountain passes or the like, as they are all built to cater for the biggest of rigs on the road. They are also the main priority to keep clear of ice and snow and that's if there is any to start with. Millions of people go about their business and pleasure travelling on these roads every day of the year and honestly, this will be no different. I to understand your concerns but you really are more help to them by helping them prepare, while telling and encouraging them to be safe and sensible and to give you a call each evening, than you are projecting your own fears on to them. I know it's not always easy.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    If mothers were in charge we'd all still be living in thatched huts in Europe because crossing the ocean is too dangerous....... (just kidding - my mother still worries and I'm just about at retirement age....)

It's the job of mothers to worry. And it's the job of kids to do it anyway. The vast, vast, vast majority of the time it works out just fine. And when it doesn't go as planned - that's when adventures and memories are born. (for the kids)

A brand new AWD car is a plus in the risk reduction category.

But if one suggestion would make a difference I'd suggest they avoid I-70. Crowded with skiers and puts them travelling thru Denver. Southern route isn't really any better for weather so it's up to the storm systems that they'll be facing at the time.

Ha ha so true! My Mom would have come undone if she knew half of the things I survived .... without iPhones. Thank you for your suggestion. They will be checking weather forecasts as they go, and yes, so will I.

8. Default

Thank you ! Sorry, we are in southern California, Irvine and they are headed to Omaha. They have since abandoned the idea of hauling a trailer, so they will be less encumbered.

9. Default

Yes, I asked them the same questions. They could fly there, and buy a car. But he has to start work right away, they won't have time to deal with it there and don't want to rent a car etc.

10. Default

Thank you! I am trying.... Venting on here has helped me keep calm around them :)