1. Default Central California to Vancouver, which route?

We're planning our first long roadtrip, heading from Sacramento to Canada and back in early July. We have 3-4 weeks and want to spend most of that time in Vancouver, and possibly further inland. But we also want to make some stops in Oregon and Washington.

My main question is, which route is best, Hwy 101 to Vancouver and I5 back to Sacramento, or I5 to Vancouver and Hwy 101 back to Sacramento? Are there advantages/disadvantages to either?

We're traveling with three adults and two kids, 8 & 10. Any advice would be helpful!

Last edited by 4Bears; 01-31-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Only Real Difference

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First, congratulations on planning to maximize what you get to see on this trip by taking different routes up and back. The only real difference between taking I-5 north vs. US-101 is that taking I-5 north means that you'd be taking US-101 south and in that case you'd be driving along the coast with the ocean (and the vast majority of towns, parks, attractions, and pull-outs) on 'your' side of the roadway. That would tend to make things just a bit easier on the driver. In the absence of any other factors, that would be enough to tip the scales in favor of that combination.