1. Default Jacksonville, FL to Shreveport, LA

Has anyone driven this route before. This will be my first due to death in the family. I tried to do a search for reference and came to this site. Sorry if I'm in the wrong category. I know it takes about 12-13 hours but I've seen two routes to get there. Also where should I stop to rest? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RTA, and sorry for your loss.

By shortest route, this is over 800 miles and is not measured in hours, but days. This is a day and a half at best. Computer mapping programs that measure in hours never have to stop or are delayed for any reason, 800 miles is going to be at least 15 hours on the road and cannot be safely driven in one day.

The shortest route is also the fastest - I-10 to Mobile, US-98 to Hattiesburg, US-49 to Jackson, and I-20 to Shreveport. If you prefer to stay on Interstates, I-10 to I-49 is about 70 miles longer. Where you stop for the night depends on which day you want to be your full day and which you want to be your half day.

3. Default

Thank you for your reply glc. This has helped a lot. I know flying is quicker but I just need to be alone with my thoughts on the way there.

I completely understand, and that's another good reason not to try to drive it straight through, you will be distracted enough and wouldn't want fatigue to add to those distractions. Either way you go, Mobile is roughly the halfway point and would have many suitable overnight options. I'd probably stop in the East Bay - Daphne area, the last 2 exits before crossing the bay appear to have hotel clusters.