1. Default Florida to Yonkers!

Hello all! I cant believe I have not found this community earlier!
    Ive carefully read the "new to forums" sticky and I believe this where i need to be.

I need to deliver furniture to Yonkers, ny. Specifically, this address, {300 Yonkers ave, Yonkers, NY} from here 15 minutes away I need to get to (3801-Boston Post rd Bronx Ny)

I have been up there before to the same address in the Bronx with a 16ft uhaul, and all was fine until I crossed the George Washington bridge, this lead to a nerve wracking adventure on a parkway and just getting by a clearance that almost landed me on youtube. Ive now learned that GPS knows not that my vehicle is forbidden and I must manually plot my course.

If you folks would be so kind, I would like assistance in the best route to the Yonkers address first and then back to the Bronx location without the use of parkways.

If Im taking i-95 the whole way, is it advantageous to take the Gwb and Go from there or is there something else I can do?

Appreciate any help on this
    Thank you.

Default Trucker's maps will tell you what gps can't.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

You might be best of getting hold of a truckers road atlas such as the Rand McNally, they tend to have all the information as to restrictions of size and height, etc.

Yes, definitely forget about the gps in these situations. They can (and have) got people into more trouble than they were looking for; Not just onto youtube, but losing their life. You should always travel with good paper maps, and in this case the best could well be a truckers road atlas, available at all truck stops and most other fuel outlets.

Lifey

I'm a little confused about your plans. Your post topic says going from Florida to Yonkers, but you didn't say anything about Florida in your actual post - you really only talk about going from Yonkers to the Bronx.

As far as getting from Yonkers to the Bronx, it looks to me like you're pretty much stuck using city streets for most of the trip. Getting on I-87 South and taking that to 233rd street looks like the most logical path on a map.

I'm guessing you're starting in Florida before going to Yonkers then? Where in Florida? Taking a guess, you probably wouldn't want to use I-95 the whole way - as it is the most congested highway in North America. You' probably be better off working your way up to I-81, most likely via I26/I-77 through the Carolinas. Then use I-78 or I-80 to head back into Jersey. If you want to avoid the GW Bridge, you could take I-287 up and around to the Tappan Zee Bridge, and then head back down to Yonkers on I-87.

4. Default

I apologize for the confusion. I left from orlando, Florida. Yes, the last time I went I took i-95 the entire way to GWB and sort of winged it from there. It was convenient because GWB lead me straight to the Bronx location, but since I need to get to the Yonkers location first with an even bigger truck (a 26ft) I figured there was a far better way. However, the type of suggestions you provided was what I was looking for, the GWB was pretty rough.
    Im trying to plan this out instead of relying on luck and a GPS that provides no help :)

I Appreciate that Midwest.

I will also look into those trucker maps, LifeMagician!

Even if you were going directly to the Bronx and wanted to use the GW Bridge, I'd still look at cutting over to I-81 for this trip. You add a few miles, but significantly reduce the chance of getting stuck in a traffic nightmare.

You'd just adjust it so you took I-80 across New Jersey - which would take you right to I-95 at the GWB.

In fact, if I was doing it, I still might look at using the Tappan Zee and take I-287 and then head south on I-95.

6. Default

You are a lifesaver with the tappan zee bridge!! That route looks awesome sir!
    If I understand correctly I can take 81 to 80, from 80 I can jump to 287 to the Tappan and shoot down.

That is correct - although it would actually be a bit shorter to use I-78 instead of I-80. A good look at maps should explain it pretty clearly.

I-78 would also avoid some major construction on I-81 through the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. I-78 splits off from I-81 just northeast of Harrisburg.

9. Default

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the information. I'll make sure to provide some updates and attempt to contribute to this forum where I can.

Thanks again.

Default You're welcome on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksnow View Post
    I'll make sure to provide some updates ...
    We have a special forum just for that. Most of us would be interested in how you got on.... and if you have any pictures, they are always appreciated.

... and attempt to contribute to this forum where I can.
    Always appreciated. The variety of experiences makes this forum worthwhile.

Lifey