Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default RV Trip From Houston to Las Vegas

Hello,

Last year we did an RV Roadtrip in the US AWest and we really liked the freedom of our RV.
    So this year we have booked another trip to the usa with a Cruise America C30 RV.
    We will start in Houston, and bring it back in Vegas.

I made a day-to-day schedule and i would like some tips :)

1 Flight Houston. Arrival 5pm
    2 Houston to Lake Charles. Pickup Rv, go shopping, and drive to Lake Charles
    3 Lake Charles to Plantation Alley, and in the evening arive at Koa New Orleans
    4 New Orleans center Cruise and French Quarter)
    5 From Plantation Alley to Natchez. Stop at the Rosedown Plantation in St Francisville
    6 Visit Natchez in the morning, then to Caddo Lake
    7 Caddo Lake full day
    8 Caddo Lake to Carlsbad. Sleep in Hobbs aera? Long drive (on a Sunday) about 600 miles
    9 Carlsbad Caves
    10 From Carlsbad to White Sands (though Roswell). Watch sunset in White Sands, then sleep in Las Cruces
    11 From Las Cruces to Tucson. Stop in Tombstone. Sleep in Saguaro National Park (also a long drive ± 6 hours)
    12 From Saguaro National Park to Goldfield Ghosttown.(see the Pima Air Space museum)
    13 Visit Goldfield Ghosttown, and drive to Sedona
    14 Full day Sedona (rent a car)
    15 From Sedona to Canyon de Chelly (route 66 stops in Flagstaff). Night in Spider rock campground
    16 From Canyon de Chelly to Durango
    17 From Durango to Monument Valley
    18 From Monument Valley to Page.
    19 Page full day. (antelope canyon, and lake powel)
    20 Page to North Rim
    21 North Rim to Bryce
    22 Bryce full day
    23 Bryce to Zion, (visit Cedar Breaks?)
    24 Zion full day
    25 Zion to Las Vegas
    26 Las Vegas (last day in RV
    27 Last day Vegas. Flight back in the evening

On day 1 we pickup a car to drive to the hotel.
    And on day 2 we can use this car to do our first shopping for the RV trip.
    Cruise America lets us pick up the RV after 1pm. So we have the morning to do some shopping.

Day 8 is a long driving day. I did not put extra stops here, and do this long drive in one day. That way we get an extra 'resting' day in Page.

The original plan was to go from Durango to Ouray , and spent one night there. (and then the next day to Monument Valley) But i've changed the route so that extra day in Ouray has been cancelled.
    Is it still worth it to go to Durango? If we go from Canyon De Chelly to Monument Valley (without Durango) it would save a lot of extra miles. And we have a day extra to put somewhere else. (any tips??)

Last year we did see the places from day 18 to 27.

Anyone got any tips or advice for our plans?

We are going this summer half juli/ half august.

Thanks!

8 Caddo Lake to Carlsbad. Sleep in Hobbs aera? Long drive (on a Sunday) about 600 miles
    In an RV, this is not going to be do-able. It's more like 660 miles, which is more mileage than is ever recommended in a car. To add to the issue, the last 180 miles are on 2-lane roads, which means even slower going. You might want to rethink this, do some rearranging in order to do this mileage over 2 days. You'll enjoy your trip a lot more!

11 From Las Cruces to Tucson. Stop in Tombstone. Sleep in Saguaro National Park (also a long drive ± 6 hours)
    This is not a super long drive in itself, but the stop in Tombstone will add time to your day. The drive itself will be about 7 hours (allow 50mph average in an RV), but then you should calculate how much time you want to spend in Tombstone. Bear in mind, that is highly commercialized - has been, for years. Allow 3 hours.

Bear in mind that there are no camping facilities inside Saguaro National Park. There are backcountry campsites, but these involve hiking in: no RV's, no access. You must stay in the Tucson area in an RV park or state park campground. A list of public campgrounds can be found here. RV parks include the Prince of Tucson. Also realize that Saguaro National Park has two districts. One is northwest of Tucson, the other is east of Tucson. Lastly, it's going to be HOT. You will probably want a decent electrical hookup in order to run the air conditioner in the RV.

Donna

Hi and welcome back, good to see you planning your next adventure ! Where your trip is doable I think scaling back a little will help you in having a more relaxed time. Where, or how you do that is something you will have to work on as they are all great options. Durango is quite a detour, especially when considering you won't have much time to spend there so that would be an obvious choice.. Another option would be to cut out Las Cruces through to Canyon De Chelley and instead continue through Roswell to Albuquerque up to Durango and visit Mesa Verde NP. Perhaps drive the 'Million dollar Highway' through Silverton. And then as you have been to MV and Page you could even consider heading further north to Moab and Arches NP and then head through Capitol Reef NP on UT24 and to Bryce on scenic Hwy 12, if you haven't done that already.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    In an RV, this is not going to be do-able. It's more like 660 miles, which is more mileage than is ever recommended in a car. To add to the issue, the last 180 miles are on 2-lane roads, which means even slower going. You might want to rethink this, do some rearranging in order to do this mileage over 2 days. You'll enjoy your trip a lot more!
    Thanks Donna,

I know it's a long drive. Last year we drove about 500miles on our longest day. Then we did some stops. So now its a bit longer, but if we leave at 7am then we can make it at 5pm i think.
    Just some short stops and not to see things.
    I thought about breaking it in two days. But i did not find anything nice to see in between. So if we driver about 300 miles, then we will be in the middle of nowhere with noting to see at 1pm. Then i rather drive the extra miles and gain a day extra.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    This is not a super long drive in itself, but the stop in Tombstone will add time to your day. The drive itself will be about 7 hours (allow 50mph average in an RV), but then you should calculate how much time you want to spend in Tombstone. Bear in mind, that is highly commercialized - has been, for years. Allow 3 hours.
    Thanks, i've read that the shoutouts at Tombstone are at noon and 2pm.
    If we see the 2pm shootout, then we can visit boothill cemetery, and drive the 2 hours to Saguaro.
    Then we will be there at about 5pm.
    I was thinking to stop at 'Gilbert Ray Campground'.
    Then watch the sunset there, and in the morning see some more of the National Park.

but if we leave at 7am then we can make it at 5pm i think.
    Nope. 650 miles in a RV is going to be at least 13 hours, not 10.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi and welcome back, good to see you planning your next adventure ! Where your trip is doable I think scaling back a little will help you in having a more relaxed time. Where, or how you do that is something you will have to work on as they are all great options. Durango is quite a detour, especially when considering you won't have much time to spend there so that would be an obvious choice.. Another option would be to cut out Las Cruces through to Canyon De Chelley and instead continue through Roswell to Albuquerque up to Durango and visit Mesa Verde NP. Perhaps drive the 'Million dollar Highway' through Silverton. And then as you have been to MV and Page you could even consider heading further north to Moab and Arches NP and then head through Capitol Reef NP on UT24 and to Bryce on scenic Hwy 12, if you haven't done that already.
    Thanks Dave!
    Our first option was to go up after White Sands and stop in Santa Fe, and then to Durango.
    I did change that and now we are going into Arizona (Tombstone, Tucson, Goldfield).
    I thing there are more great stops that way :)
    Last Year we were in Arches/Moab and DeadHorse Point SP/Capitol Reef.

From day 18 to 27 we really want to see these parks/places again.
    Maybe we should add another day in Sedona (to 3 nights) and stay and relax there some more, and skip Durango?
    Or is the one day in Durango still worth it?

(say we leave Canyon de Chelly at 8am. Then we can be in Durago at about noon.
    We have the full day there to visit)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Nope. 650 miles in a RV is going to be at least 13 hours, not 10.
    Last year i took the time of Google maps, and for every hour 1 added 10 minutes.
    Google says Lake Caddo to Hobbs 570 miles, and 8 hours by car.
    So i add the extra 80 minutes ;) and that is about 9 hours.

Or is the speed limit different than Nevada / Montana?

Default Bits and Pieces

First of all, I have to agree with Donna that Caddo Lake State Park is a poor choice for an overnight stop between Natchez and Carlsbad Caverns. It leaves far too much driving for the second day. If you really want to make just one stop on that leg then Lake Mineral Wells State Park, just west of DFW, would be a better choice since it is roughly equidistant between Natchez and Whites City, and at roughly 465 miles on the first day could be driven in a shortened day, even letting you drive through DFW after evening rush hour if you have a reservation and are comfortable setting up camp in the twilight/dark. Another possibility is to make two stops on the way to Carlsbad, one at Caddo Lake State Park and the other at Abilene State Park, breaking the long drive up into more manageable segments while leaving time to enjoy your campsites.

Speaking of camping, be aware that there is no RV camping in Saguaro National Park. There is no camping at all in the Tucson Mountain (West) Section, and only hike-in/backpack camping in the Rincon Mountain (East) Section. There are certainly plenty of RV sites in the Tucson area to accommodate all our snowbirds, just not in the national park.

Also, keep in mind that average high temperatures in the Page area in summer approach 100º, and dry heat or not that is not comfortable to be out in. Bring lots of water, light (color and weight) loose clothing, and a wide-brimmed hat. Remember too that Antelope Canyon is on Navajo Nation land and entry is only by permit, usually meaning that you go in on a guided tour.

AZBuck

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    First of all, I have to agree with Donna that Caddo Lake State Park is a poor choice for an overnight stop between Natchez and Carlsbad Caverns. It leaves far too much driving for the second day. If you really want to make just one stop on that leg then Lake Mineral Wells State Park, just west of DFW, would be a better choice since it is roughly equidistant between Natchez and Whites City, and at roughly 465 miles on the first day could be driven in a shortened day, even letting you drive through DFW after evening rush hour if you have a reservation and are comfortable setting up camp in the twilight/dark. Another possibility is to make two stops on the way to Carlsbad, one at Caddo Lake State Park and the other at Abilene State Park, breaking the long drive up into more manageable segments while leaving time to enjoy your campsites.

Speaking of camping, be aware that there is no RV camping in Saguaro National Park. There is no camping at all in the Tucson Mountain (West) Section, and only hike-in/backpack camping in the Rincon Mountain (East) Section. There are certainly plenty of RV sites in the Tucson area to accommodate all our snowbirds, just not in the national park.

Also, keep in mind that average high temperatures in the Page area in summer approach 100º, and dry heat or not that is not comfortable to be out in. Bring lots of water, light (color and weight) loose clothing, and a wide-brimmed hat. Remember too that Antelope Canyon is on Navajo Nation land and entry is only by permit, usually meaning that you go in on a guided tour.

AZBuck

Thanks AZBuck for the info. I will read into the info of the State Parks.
    Maybe we change our plans so we don't go to Durango (and directly to Monument Valley from Canyon de Chelly) and then take one day extra between Caddo lake and Carlsbad.

I am aware of the no camping at Saguaro.
    I did find a campground at West Saguaro, 'Gilbert Ray Campground'.

Maybe we change our plans so we don't go to Durango (and directly to Monument Valley from Canyon de Chelly) and then take one day extra between Caddo lake and Carlsbad.
    That could be a good compromise.