1. Default Southwest fl to Long Island ny

Looking for the best rt from naples fl to Long Island ny end of February. Looking for most direct rt. two woman traveling so am also looking for safe places to stay.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

For a safe trip, you'll need two and a half days on the road. On the most direct route, I-75 to US-301 to I-10 to I-95, logical stopping points would be Walterboro, SC and Baltimore. With Baltimore, I'd look to the Northeast suburbs, perhaps the Aberdeen area, so you won't be fighting against traffic the following morning. In both cases, you should have no problems finding a range of safe hotels that fit your budget.

Unfortunately, the most direct route also takes you through the most traffic-choked corridor in the US - I-95 between Richmond and Boston. It also has a lot of tolls.

I would get off I-95 in SC, take I-26 to Columbia, then I-77 to Wytheville VA, I-81 to Harrisburg, then I-78 into NJ, I-287 to the Outerbridge, NY-440 to I-278 to the Verrazano, then the Belt Parkway out into LI. This does add about 90 miles, but less traffic may make it just as fast. I would look at overnights around Savannah and Harrisonburg VA, any hotel at an Interstate exit is most likely safe, especially if there's a lot of other businesses at the exit such as truck stops and restaurants.

I fully concur with GLC on this routing suggestion. The I-95 corridor can be very ugly traffic-wise and not that scenic either.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Unfortunately, the most direct route also takes you through the most traffic-choked corridor in the US - I-95 between Richmond and Boston. It also has a lot of tolls.

I would get off I-95 in SC, take I-26 to Columbia, then I-77 to Wytheville VA, I-81 to Harrisburg, then I-78 into NJ, I-287 to the Outerbridge, NY-440 to I-278 to the Verrazano, then the Belt Parkway out into LI. This does add about 90 miles, but less traffic may make it just as fast. I would look at overnights around Savannah and Harrisonburg VA, any hotel at an Interstate exit is most likely safe, especially if there's a lot of other businesses at the exit such as truck stops and restaurants.