Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Group trip to LA...Uber or Rental car?

Hello all

Me & 3 of my friends are planning a trip to LA in the summer for 7 days & we are having seperate opinions on if we should use uber to get around or rent a car while we're there

They think using an uber will be cheaper for us but I think going to multiple places during the week especially sometimes in one day the uber cost will add up especially knowing how spaced out everything in LA is. I also think it would be more convenient to have a rental car to get around the city & even having a day trip to San Diego or Vegas

Plus I also think the savings wouldn't be that much if we uber to a lot of places. Uber would be a better idea to me if we just planned to stay in one area or just in LA in general or we didn't plan to see many places like tourist attractions, sightseeing & going to restaurants

I would like some advice from locals or travelers that have experience in LA with commuting

Thank you

Default Rental.

Personally I would go with the rental as it I would think it would be a lot cheaper given your proposed trips and it would certainly be more convenient. Although Las Vegas isn't really a day trip, you could head away along the coast to Santa Barbara for example. What you need to do is compare costs with what you might all want to do and sit down and reach an agreement. Of course the cost of a rental will be higher if the driver is under 25 years of age.

I really can't imagine how using Uber would be cheaper for you, and it's not even really an option at all if you are thinking of getting out of town. There are plenty of times I've rented a car for an entire day for less than the cost of one uber trip. Of course, it will depend a little bit upon what you find for rental car prices or when you'd be traveling (possible surge pricing from uber?) but unlike say New York where everything is in a relatively compact area and parking is always hard to come by, having your own car in LA is generally a plus, not a minus.

Default Rent a car!

Friends of mine did some pricing for a similar adventure, which took place back in September. They concluded that a rental vehicle, and one designated driver, was the better deal.

As Dave said, Las Vegas is not a day trip from LA. It's at least 4 hours one-way, and that's in good traffic. San Diego can be a day trip, as it's only around 2 hours depending on traffic. (A friend of mine drove the two of us up to LAX a week ago, on a Saturday morning, and it took about 2 hours to drive north. It was about 2-1/4 hours to drive southbound, in the afternoon, not including the stop we made for snacks in Orange County. )

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 01-16-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: punctuation

Default Except That....

I would agree with all the comments above that renting a car would be the way to go, except that...

If more than one of you wants to drive at any point during your trip, you will have to pay for that person to be an 'additional driver' for each and every day that you have the car. This typically runs about $15/day/person.

If any of the drivers is under 25 years of age, you'll have to pay an additional, 'under-age driver' fee for each and every driver under 25 for each and every day that you have the car. This typically runs about $25-30/day/person.

If all of you want the option of driving at some point during your trip, and all of you are under 25, you're looking at an additional $300 or so over and above what is initially quoted to you as the rental price.

AZBuck

If more than one of you wants to drive at any point during your trip, you will have to pay for that person to be an 'additional driver' for each and every day that you have the car. This typically runs about $15/day/person.
    Not if you rent in California. No additional driver fee by state law.

If any of the drivers is under 25 years of age, you'll have to pay an additional, 'under-age driver' fee for each and every driver under 25 for each and every day that you have the car. This typically runs about $25-30/day/person.
    If you rent from Fox in California, underage driver fee is $15/day, and you can rent if only 19. Most other companies you have to be 21.

Default Except That........

I took my figures directly from various car rental firms' websites for a one week rental out of LAX. The law is one thing, reality is another. The bottom line is that the best advice is to check out the actual, final rental cost for exactly what a particular renter (or group of renters) wants to do. Chances are, if they're relying on simply the low-ball price quoted when they first check, they'll be in for a very rude awakening.

AZBuck

8. Default

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, this is some great advice
    It's going to be 1 driver under 25 which is probably me(22) and I've already included that cost in the planning so the final price shouldn't be surprising.

I also heard that Uber charges surge prices in LA where the price can can be 2-2.5x more than usual is this true?

Uber charges surge prices everywhere, based on demand, and it can be even more than 2.5x the normal rate. There really is no upper limit.

I'm guessing you don't have experience using uber in your hometown? If that's the case, then know it's essentially just a well marketed taxi service. If you would never consider just using taxis for the trip, then using Uber probably isn't a good idea.

If you want to go in outlying areas of LA -- you want to have your own car, not Uber. Think of having a taxi drive you somewhere that takes an hour or 1-1/2 hours to get there. And then the fare for return.

That's what brought my friends to the conclusion that they needed to rent a vehicle.

Donna