1. Default Need Suggestions and Duration Time for Canadian-US Trip (West)

Dear Brother and sisters.

I need some suggestions for our future trip in US and Canada where in we are planning to go to Vancouver (round trip) then Calgary then to Montana and visiting Mt Rushmore National Park. Afterwards we will travel via Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park), then pass to Boise in Idaho, Portland, Seattle and back again to Vancouver. May I know the estimated duration (days of doing this together with stopovers and rest)?

Another suggestion we've had is from Vancouver, will fly to Winnepeg, then road trip the day after arriving at Winnepeg to Mt Rushmore via Sioux Falls. Then go to Wyoming (Yellowstone), Portland, Seattle and back again to Vancouver. May I know also the estiamted duration of this road trip?

I am from the Philippines as we are planning to go cross country in our US and Canadian trips.

Thanks and may god bless you more!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Asking how long a trip will take is difficult, because we don't know your travel style, and there really is no maximum, You could take months and not see everything.

With your round trip from Vancouver, you're looking at a minimum of 7 to 10 days just of driving, plus whatever time you need for exploring. A very, very rough estimate would probably be 3 to 4 weeks minimum for the total trip, but it depends so much on how much time you want to spend at each of the cities and destinations you've listed so far, and if there are other places you want to visit.

I would not recommend starting your trip by flying to Winnipeg, as it is a very long way from Rapid City/Mount Rushmore. In fact, Calgary is only a little bit farther away. Both drives would require a minimum of a day and a half on the road. By doing a one way trip you'd also be making things a lot more expensive. Doing the round trip from Vancouver would just make more sense.

Default How long you got ?

I think your best of to work out how long you can afford to be on the road, both time and money, and then see what you can work into it. Once you get going with the basics we will be able to offer meaningful help with the planning. Some places you can get an overview of in a few hours and others like Yellowstone really need 3 or 4 days to get around the main areas, especially when coupled with the Teton's just to the south of the park.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Asking how long a trip will take is difficult, because we don't know your travel style, and there really is no maximum, You could take months and not see everything.

With your round trip from Vancouver, you're looking at a minimum of 7 to 10 days just of driving, plus whatever time you need for exploring. A very, very rough estimate would probably be 3 to 4 weeks minimum for the total trip, but it depends so much on how much time you want to spend at each of the cities and destinations you've listed so far, and if there are other places you want to visit.

I would not recommend starting your trip by flying to Winnipeg, as it is a very long way from Rapid City/Mount Rushmore. In fact, Calgary is only a little bit farther away. Both drives would require a minimum of a day and a half on the road. By doing a one way trip you'd also be making things a lot more expensive. Doing the round trip from Vancouver would just make more sense.
    Thanks bro. I hope that 7-10 days is enough to complete this trip. It's because I got work back home here in the Philippines. :):)

In that case it looks as though something has to give, unless you just want to look at sights through the windshield. Mt Rushmore is the obvious place to drop from the loop as it adds so many miles, that would leave you with a 'busy' schedule but at least one you would have at least some time to see the places you are visiting.

7 to 10 days isn't even close to enough time to do either of the trips you've laid out. As I mentioned, you would need that much time just to cover the miles, driving from point to point, before you stop to see anything!

If that's all the time you have available then you need to dramatically scale back what you hope to see and do.

Default Make the most of your week or so.

In 7 - 10 days, why not go to Calgary - a scenic drive, especially if you don't take the tooll road. Check out Bannf and Lake Louise, drop down to Letheridge (or there abouts) check out Waterton Lakes NP, and head back to Vancouver along the scenic route 3.

Lifey

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    7 to 10 days isn't even close to enough time to do either of the trips you've laid out. As I mentioned, you would need that much time just to cover the miles, driving from point to point, before you stop to see anything!

If that's all the time you have available then you need to dramatically scale back what you hope to see and do.
    Thanks. We're thinking to add more days to our trip. 12-15 days perhaps. :):) (adding up to fly from Vancouver to Calgary). :):)

Thanks!

9. Default

Good day to you

The most highlight of the round trip is going to Mt Rushmore National Park as we're dreaming of it years ago. :):)

Thanks!

Even with about 2 weeks, you're still not going to have enough time to do everything you have listed. If Mount Rushmore is your priority, then you can work that into your trip, but you're going to have to cut out most of the other things you've listed as things you want to see.