1. Default Road Trip Laredo-Grand Prairie Planning

Hello Everyone!

I am sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but I am new to this forum. I plan on traveling on March from Mexico to Grand Prairie TX. It is a 580 mile drive. I plan on entering the US through Laredo TX. By that point I would have driven around 130 miles.

I plan on beginning the road trip around 1 PM on a Friday. The goal of the trip is a music festival in Grand Prairie, which will be on Sunday beginning at 11 AM, and I plan on driving back on Monday morning so I can get to Mexico

As this will be the first time ever to make a road trip in the US, I would like to know which is the best way to get from Laredo to Grand Prairie. I hope I can count on you guys to help me out with some of your advice.

1) Do you think it is too much to drive all the way to Grand Prairie? Would it be better to sleep halfway and continue the trip in the morning?
    2) I see 2 main routes, 35 and 281. Which are the Pros and Cons of each? Is there another better way of getting to my destination?
    3) Are there any places worth the visit on the way?

Any extra advice you could give me would be a lot of help.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default A couple of resoures

Quote Originally Posted by andresgebelu View Post
    I am sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but I am new to this forum
    Howdy and welcome to the Trip Planning Forums. I moved your thread to the Spring Planning forums (instead of summer). Are you starting your trip in the Monterrey area? Or further south?

In any case, yes you should plan to stay overnight on Friday. You are planning to drive through some of the most historic places in Texas and it would be shame to miss them, by driving by in the middle of the night. I don't know if there will be traffic delays at Laredo when you enter the USA, but the shortest possible time to drive that distance would likely exceed 11 hours due to traffic and etc.

Are you headed for the SoWhat Music Festival? Looks like a good line-up this year.

The Alamo is in San Antonio and the River Walk is a nice place for a break from driving.

The festival is half-way between Ft. Worth and Dallas -- and there are lots of cools things to do in both cities. I would certainly suggest you take in the Ft. Worth Stockyards.

One of the best web sites for discovering places to explore in Texas is Texas Escapes.

Enjoy the planning!

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

I would not try to do this in one day if you aren't leaving till 1pm, an overnight stop is highly recommended. Where to stop is up to you, and depends on how long it takes you to cross the border. You should never be more than 1 hour away from roadside hotels at the highway exits. You could make the return trip in 1 day if you leave early enough in the morning and don't encounter any major delays at the border.

The fastest route is I-35 all the way to Fort Worth, using 35W. Then take I-20 east to your best exit. US-281 is not a good option if you need to make good time, hotels and services are not as plentiful.

Enroute attractions will primarily be in San Antonio and Austin.