Default First Major Road Trip with my dog!!!

Hey Everyone, My boyfriend and I are moving from Florida back to our home state of MA in September. But before we move we want to explore America. We love to hike and really want to to explore Colorado, Utah. Possibly if we have enough funds we want to travel to California Oregon and Montana. We are taking our 2 year old black dog with us, so we really need all the advice and tips we can get.
    Best places to hike in Colorado or on the drive to CO from FL. Best hike or stops for our dog? Best route to Colorado? Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Starting planning.

Hi Laila, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Here is a great way to get you started with your planning. Go to AAA and get maps (free to members) of all the states you think you will be covering, as well as a map of the US. Alternatively, you may prefer a road atlas such as the Rand McNally - widely available. When you have these, follow the advice in the this paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    These maps will show you so much more than you will ever see on a little screen. You can research all the sites you see along the way, and all the routes the maps show.

If you spend some time reading through the trip planning forums you will find quite a bit of information on travelling with pets. Or use the search function to find the relevant threads.