1. Default February / March Trip of the Southeastern States

We are trying to set up our winter plans. We will be flying into Orlando on February 1st, on Feb 2nd we plan on watching a rocket launch at Tittusville and then leaving to tour the southeast states returning to Orland on February 17th for the Daytona car race. we have a condo booked in Maitland from the 17th until March 9th. While we are in Maitland we plan on doing 1 or 2 day sightseeing trips.

What I am looking for is ideas for a round trip itinerary to the southeast states and then any ideas for some day trips from Maitland/Orlando.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tucson, AZ

Default Flexibility Will Be Key, and Some Hints?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I had three invitations to be on the grounds of Kennedy Space Center for a shuttle launch. Only one of them went off on time. The first was delayed by a couple of days but I had to leave; the second was delayed for weeks because (for the one and only time in shuttle history) the main engines fired but shut down before the solid rockets could; the third went off on time and was a glorious pre-dawn launch. The thing is, everything has to go right for a rocket to launch on time and that is just not always the case. So be prepared to either wait around for a day or two if the launch is delayed, or to pass up the opportunity if the delay is longer than you can afford.

With right around two weeks to play with for your tour of the southeast, you can actually cover quite a bit of ground without heavy driving. If you cover 100-200 miles a day on average, spending the rest of your time actually seeing sites and being active, you can still cover in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand miles in that timeframe. That means that the entire southeast is available to you, as well as all of the mid-Atlantic and much of the Midwest! So, how far do you want to travel? What kinds of sites were you hoping to visit? Why did you choose Southeast as your region of interest? Do you have any places that you're already planning on visiting, or which are at least high on your list? The thing is, with so much time and such a large geographical area at your disposal, we'd just be taking random shots in the dark with any recommendations that we might make in the absence of further information from you.

Last edited by AZBuck; 01-06-2016 at 04:13 PM.

3. Default

Here is a list of somethings we are interested in - in no particular order

Unique sites - off the beaten path
    scenic drives
    at least 1 garden
    spanish moss trees
    swamp /bayou tour
    blue ridge mountains
    open air markets

Are tossing around
    - riverfront, historic plantations, old cemeteries
    - mountain areas
    Tybee Island
    - market square, historic homes and plantations
    - Ft Sumner
    - biltmore estates
    New Orleans
    Southern Belle Riverboat
    Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge

Again I haven't put any order to this, but would appreciate any help you could give me. If you have any recommendations to add would be great

Tucson, AZ

Default Packed!!!

Those are a lot of destinations you'd like to include on your 'vacation' in the southeast! 'Restful' is not a term that will be applied to this trip. Still, if that's what you want to do, more power to you. And it's certainly possible. To cover the nearly 3,000 miles required for the zigzagging route needed to see something like what you've laid out, you'll need to average around 250 miles a day over 14 days if you include the extra miles to actually get off the highways and get to the locations on your list. Keep that in mind as you plan and especially as you progress around your loop to have an idea of whether you're on time or behind schedule.

Also, I would have a slightly different list, based both on places on my bucket list and places I've enjoyed, especially places I stumbled on and that don't get a lot of 'press'. On that list, but not on yours, working counter-clockwise from Daytona to Orlando, are:

St. Augustine FL
    Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA
    Congaree National Park, SC
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NC/TN
    Shiloh National Military Park, TN
    Natchez Trace Parkway, TN/AL/MS
    Elvis' Birthplace, Tupelo MS
    Creole Nature Trail, LA
    Gulf Islands National Seashore, MS
    Old Cahawba Archaeological Site, Cahaba AL
    FDR's Little White House, Warm Springs GA
    Andersonville National Historic Site, GA
    Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, GA
    Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, FL

Places on your list which I might drop because they are just too far off a path that makes sense are:

Southport/Wilmington/Beaufort - the North Carolina coast
    Madisonville (TN? - I've simply not heard of this town.)

In the end, your basic routing and what your major stops are going to be will be up to you. But at this point you should probably start firming up your final list, take a serious knife to your first 'wish list', and then prune some more.