Default Nashville to Niagara Falls in April advice required

Trusting some of the experienced Road Trippers can help out a fellow traveler from New Zealand.

My lady & I are renting a car in Memphis after a riverboat trip from New Orleans.

We are driving south first along the Blues Hwy then east to Greenwood then onto the Natchez Park up to Tupelo.
    After that heading to Lynchburg TN then up to Nashville.

Now the big question:-
    Is it possible to drive from Nashville to Niagara Falls with a stopover somewhere around Cincinnati leaving Nashville April 12th & arriving at Falls on the afternoon of 13th.

I checked out Google Maps for distance however being April I am not sure about late winter early spring weather as we head north.
    Therefore asking for advice from anyone who may have done this trip around this time of year and get an idea as to what we may encounter.

Cheers from a Kiwi looking forward to writing off a line or three from his bucket list.

Default Should Be Easy

Nau mai! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, it should be relatively easy to get from Nashville to Niagara Falls with a singe overnight stop - Columbus OH is roughly half way. While it's possible to see a freak winter storm as late as April, I wouldn't plan around that possibility. Besides, at around 725 miles from Nashville to Niagara Falls, you could normally make that drive in a day and a half. If you should encounter weather you're uncomfortable driving in, just pull over and let the storm pass. Even spend the night somewhere other that where you had planned. And then get back on the road once the sun has come out and the roads have been cleared. As always, keep an eye on the weather forecasts as your actual travel dates come up. You won't get a reliable forecast until just a couple of days beforehand. Once you have it, adjust your plans accordingly. You have some time to play with.

AZBuck

Thanks for the quick reply.
    As with all driving trips including down here we do have to account for the change in weather and allow for the quick changes it can make.
    I will be guided by your advice as the trip gets closer. No major planning after Nashville.
    I would imagine that April would not be that crowded with Road Trippers.

Gazbo

Default Usually Not

Summer RoadTripping season in the US generally starts when schools let out, usually late May to early June, and is in full swing through June, July and August until schools return to session in late summer (Septemberish here). There are some other considerations, such as the increasing number of 'snowbirds', people who live up north in the summer and down south in the winter, but they also tend to be migrating about the same time, late spring and late fall. Mid spring (such as your dates) and early fall are my favorite times of the year to be on the road.

AZBuck

Default Opens when the snow's gone.

It was a few years ago now that I was at Niagara Falls in April. The 15th to be precise. At the time, all of the attractions were still closed, Only the visitor centre on Goat Island was open. It was fantastic to see snow all around, and huge chunks of ice going over the falls.

Neither the Maid of the Mist nor the walking tours were yet operating. On the other hand, parking was a breeze. Just be prepared that it may not yet be fully open.

Lifey

Cheers Lifey, thought that may be the case regarding attractions. Nevertheless it the Falls that we want to see so hopefully they won't be frozen solid :-).
    I am more concerned about getting there from Nashville by road in that time frame.
    AZBuck appears to know that it can be done as long as there is no major blizzard.
    Thanks for the picture, my partner thinks that time of year may be better to see them.
    Gazbo

Default Definitely memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazbo View Post
    Thanks for the picture, my partner thinks that time of year may be better to see them.Gazbo
    Of the four or five times I have been to Niagara, I have to say, this was one of the more memorable ones. Although the ride on the Maid of the Mist to the base of the falls was also unreal.

You should enjoy a walk onto Goat Island to the visitor centre with the police station across the road from it. It was great chatting with the police, and listen to the stories of the number of people they have rescued from jumping.... people who changed their mind at the last moment. (That alone makes a trip memorable.)

Be sure to drive over the bridge to the Canadian side. It is said to be the better side. Right by the falls on the Canadian side is an IMAX theatre which shows a very interesting history of the falls. Worth seeing.

On another topic, do you have any maps to help you plan this trip? Are you able to get these locally. If not, I would suggest that you order a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks. It is really worth having not just to help you see what is along your way on this trip, but should you plan another trip anytime. It gets addictive you know. (I have mine right by the computer here all the time.)

Furthermore, if you are a member of your local automobile club, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourism information from the AAA anywhere in the US. First thing I do each trip (this year will be my eighth) I get a new set of maps from AAA.

Lifey