Thread: suggestions

1. Default suggestions

My husband and I want to do a 7 week trip to the USA and Canada. Our son us in houston so we woukd like to start there and also see Colorado, grand canyon. We aren't big city people but of course would like to see san francisco or NY. we mainly want to see vancouver, banff, lake louise, the falls.
    What can u suggest. Thanks

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

What types of suggestions are you looking for? Planning help? Routing help?

First, you need a map. A paper map, not the kind you see on a 5” screen (GPS or your phone) or a 15” screen (your computer). Since you are planning a multi-state trip, a USA map, regional map, or a road atlas of the US will do for starters. Take a pencil, some sticky notes, or other way to mark up the map: what do you want to see? What looks interesting? After a few marks, you'll see a route starting to form.

Another thing that's important - you posted this in the Fall & Winter road trips section - when is this trip going to be? Since you wish to see some things in Canada, winter will make a big impact on your trip.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Whence and When??

In 7 weeks you have the ability to cover quite a lot of ground, but with all the attractions along the way, you may not have much time to spend at any of them.

Most important is, where will you be flying in from amd when will you be travelling?

The first thing you should do is get some good maps of the areas you wish to visit - a large wall map of North America and individual maps of the States and Provinces. If these are not available locally, I would encourage you to purchase a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks. I assume that will be sufficient time, as you do not say when this trip takes place.

Once you have these maps, you might find the following paragraph helpful:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Maps are invaluable while planning a trip, and essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics.

The months in which you will be travelling will have a great bearing on the advice given by members.