1. Default senic roadtrip from Dallas to New Orleans

We are going to make a roadtrip (2-3 days) from Dallas to New Orleans in July.
    We are living in Holland (Europe) and want to see something from the country side.
    as less as possible on the Interstate.

Our interest are of course , the Texas country side, cows/rodeo, old cars and nature.
    We have been several times to New Orleans, so it's basicly more the start from Dallas to

Best regards,

Melbourne, Australia

Default On maps.

Hi Marco, and Welkom to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Do you have any maps or an atlas from any of your previous trips? These would possibly answer all your questions. Pity if you don't, because all the things you ask are marked on good maps, such as those from AAA and Rand McNally. If you do not have any, you might like to consider getting a Rand McNally atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now you'll have it in a couple of weeks. It will be a great help with the planning, and be a good guide for you when on the road.

Scenic routes are marked on all these maps, as are most of the attractions along the way and the unique small towns.

If you are a member of your local automobile club, check with them if they have a reciprocal arrangement with the AAA, and see what it gets you. I regularly get maps and tourism information from AAA with my local membership. It may also get you the discount where AAA discount is advertised. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

One thing I can say, and this is a little out of your way, but as for old cars, the Cadillac Ranch (it is marked on the map) is near Amarillo, and worth visiting before heading east.

Also a little out of your way is the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY. Besides the usual display of historic cars, they also have on display five of the cars which were crushed in the sinkhole a couple of years ago. The most important ones were repaired but these five are on display to show what happened when the sinkhole swallowed them.

Last edited by Lifemagician; 12-28-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: grammar.

Tucson, AZ

Default Forests and Bayous

As Lifey suggested, paper maps are your best tool for working out the details of a RoadTrip, so I'm just going to offer a few suggestions, both general and specific, that you might want to include in your plans. First off, from Dallas Fort Worth airport (DFW) US-69 would make a good basic route to get southeast through east Texas and would bring you within easy visiting distance of a number of national forests including Davy Crockett and Sam Houston as well as Big Thickett National Preserve. There are also a couple of state historic parks (SHP) along that general route that you might find interesting: Texas State Railroad SHP and Caddoan Mounds SHP. That will get you down to southeastern Texas and/or southwestern Louisiana. From there into New Orleans you can hardly do better than to poke around the various back roads that make up the Creole Nature Trail. As for finding cowboys and such, particularly local rodeos and other events, I suggest you patronize local restaurants and check their windows for notices, and listen to local AM radio, the more honkey-tonk the music the better.