1. Default Driving back home Jan. 1st Chicago to Cali

Hello,
    I wanted to start of by saying thank you to everyone who helped me on my last post. We went from Cali to Chicago in just 51hrs and we spend about 9hrs in a hotel to rest, plus rest areas( we had a lot, traveling with a 14m toddler). The roads were clear some snow on the side but never on the road. I'm afraid that won't be the case on our way back home. Should I go back the same route? I did the I40 route almost all the drive. Really hoping to do the same hours on our way back but being realistic I think we are not going to have the same luck. Especially with the tornados in TX. Will driving by Amarillo TX be rough due to the weather? Any info and tips help. Thank you😊

Default Sometimes I wonder why we bother.

If I read you correctly, you did the 2000+ miles with only one overnight stop. I am pleased you made it successfully, but you need to understand what you did was very very dangerous, and the fact that you lived through it, did not make it safe. I, and I am sure others, hope you will never do anything so irresponsible again. Even with multiple drivers, sitting in a car for 20 hours at a time, is exhausting. The last person to drive would have been close to fatigued before he/she even started driving.

This is a four day trip, especially with a toddler, requiring frequent stops for the child to have some relieve from being restricted in a child restraint. Whether you take the same route, or another is immaterial, and whether TX is safe to traverse on the days you will be on the road only you can tell, after studying the weather forecast. As explained in your previous thread.

Lifey

Default If you don't value the life of your own toddler...

I have to completely agree with Lifey here. If you're willing to do something so reckless as drive from California to Chicago with just 1 overnight stop - with a toddler on board no less - why on earth would you ask anyone any question about doing anything safely? You've already proven that safety is not even a minor concern when you are on the road.

Would you ever consider drinking a 12 pack of beer and then getting behind the wheel, with a child on board? I ask, because what you did was every bit as dangerous.

The principals of what we said on your previous trip still apply, but if you don't believe us about the dangers of driving fatigued - because you're traveling distances that are far beyond the distances that any human body can maintain alertness - then why would you believe anything else we have to say?

4. Default

I was asking for tips/advise not to get slammed done and be attack! We obviously drove til we could. We had 3 drivers and one slept while that other drove. If we were tired we would obviously stop and sleep. No I wouldn't drink and drive and I don't think that was a good comparison. And I drove last and made it safe and I was tired but it was like a normal day tired. We would stop about every 2-3hrs and we all got to stretch and so on. We all work different schedules and or sleeping schedule is different that is why we were able to continue driving. Please next time ask before you make your negative comments. I came here to get help but I see you guys are negative Nancy's! I would never put my toddlers life in danger. We know better than to drive if we were sleepy! Don't ever make that comment if I value the of my own child.

The problem is that driving while fatigued is every bit as dangerous as driving drunk, even if you choose not to accept the scientific reality. It is the perfect comparison because the effects of fatigue are nearly identical to driving while intoxicated, and it results in nearly the same number of crashes. Just because there is no "breath test" for fatigue, people ignore the dangers, and people rationalize that because they made a long drive without crashing once, it must have been safe (just like people who don't get into a crash while driving drunk rationalize that their driving is also "safe.")

It's just not possible to do what you did safely, and by the time you feel "sleepy" you have already driven way beyond the point where you are an unsafe driver. If you choose to take the same approach on the return trip, you might not be as lucky, and whether you choose to believe it or not, you will be putting your life, your child's life, and the lives of everyone else on the road in danger, again.

Again, if you don't believe us on that critical piece of information, that you were told before your first trip, and again now, I'm not sure why you'd believe anything we say about picking a route. However, once again, the principals of winter driving have not changed in the couple of weeks since your last trip, so the same things you were told then still apply to planning a route for your upcoming trip.
    Safe Travels.

Default Safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by Evey09alex View Post
    We had 3 drivers and one slept while that other drove.
    It is not possible to get good rest through sound sleep in a moving vehicle to be alert to control a ton of me6al at great speed. In an emergency, the reflexes just aren't quick enough. You can actually test this with a simple object like a game boy. Try getting your high score after having slept in a car, and getting ready to drive. It has been tested, and I have tested it myself. The reflexes are too slow.

If we were tired we would obviously stop and sleep. No I wouldn't drink and drive and I don't think that was a good comparison. And I drove last and made it safe and I was tired but it was like a normal day tired.
    I have never heard a driver who was driving under the influence admit that they were not fit to drive. Yet you did the same thing, and are still trying to justify it. And then you say we are negative? Just think about the thousands who are killed on the roads of the US every single month. Speak with their families.

It is not a minor issue.

Lifey