1. Default Portland to Fort Bragg , Ca to Chicago

I am planning to leave Jan 2 to visit a friend in Fort Bragg and then I am heading east cross country to Chicago area. I plan to drive 500 miles per day only during daylight. I would prefer not to go over any passes if I can help it. I get vertigo sometimes.

Is I 80 my best bet? I'm driving a new Subaru Outback with awd . I am thinking I may need to carry cable chains or get new winter tires. Which one ?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Time and weather.

HI, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

For winter driving there are two essentials. Firstly keep an eye on the weather forecast for each cross country route - leading up to your departure and while on the road. The other is to have a day up your sleeve to sit out a storm, should you be unlucky to be caught in one.

Choose the route which is least likely to see a storm while you are on the road, and have a plan B as a back up. The shortest route, which is likely to be storm free, is your best option.

Stick to the interstates, as these take priority in clearing after a storm. If the weather gets so bad that you need chains, you really should not be on the road at all. Hole up in a hotel/motel until the road crews have done their job, and the road is clear again, before continuing your journey.

Confining yourself to 500 miles and daylight driving sounds like a really good idea..

Have a safe trip.