Default Where to Stop-Over Near Philadelphia?

Hi there,

My wife and I are heading south for the winter by car in a few week's time (mid-January). We're travelling from Atlantic Canada down the eastern side of the USA to the Florida panhandle, across to southern Texas, and then possibly as far west as California if time allows. On the way out we'd like to break up our trip with a lay-over in Philadelphia of a couple of nights or so. Can anyone suggest a suburb or town to stay on the outskirts of greater Philadelphia that is handy for the regional train into the centre? We'd prefer not to have to drive into to see Philly's famous tourist sights. Somewhere with a choice of accommodation would be nice.

We'd most be likely be coming to the area via I84 then I81 to give greater New York a wide-berth; making our side trip to outer Philadelphia from Harrisburg PA. But other suggestions on how to avoid NYC traffic and reach the outskirts of Philadelphia would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Gavin M

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

I-84 and I-81 are a wise choice to avoid the I-95 corridor.

Probably your best bet for lodging in the suburbs of Philly would be to the northwest, in the Norristown/Valley Forge/King of Prussia area. That's where I-76, I-476, I-276, and US-422 all come together. There is light rail (Norristown High Speed Line) from the Norristown Transportation Center to the 69th Street Transportation Center, where you can take the Market-Frankford Line into Center City. Here is a link to SEPTA, which runs the transportation system.

To get to King of Prussia from I-81, the easiest way would be I-476 from Scranton, which is the PA Turnpike NE Extension - which is a toll road. No transponder required, they have cash booths. You will find most of the lodging right around the King of Prussia Mall. Prices are a bit high in my opinion, there are no $50 rooms within 50 miles of Philly that I know of that would be in a safe area.

Glc, thanks for the quick reply, that's great.

Sounds good. I'll have a look at it on Google Maps. I could get the I476 from Scranton which will save me taking in Harrisburg via I81.

Gavin M