1. Default Need Advice: Bay Area/Dublin to LV to Grand Canyon

Hi All:

I am planning below trip and would appreciate your advice on whether it make sense to directly drive from Grand Canyon to Dublin on the way back as its 12 hours car drive. I am the solo driver with spouse and two kids (10 & 4).

Day 1 - Day time drive from Dubin to LV (I have done many times so no worries here)
    Day 3,4 - Stay in LV and visit surrounding areas as well.
    Day 5 - Travel to Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam
    Day 6 - Grand Canyon Vicinity
    Day 7 - Back to Home : Should I directly start from GC to Dublin or in between do a overnight stay. If overnight stay recommended then which place you would recommend which is good from a attraction stand point as well.

Thanks in advance.

SK

Welcome to RTA!

750 miles is way too far to try to drive in one day. When are you taking this trip? That's going to make a difference in recommendations. Would you consider going to the GC first, then LV on your way home?

Quote Originally Posted by sks123 View Post
    Hi All:
    I am planning below trip and would appreciate your advice on whether it make sense to directly drive from Grand Canyon to Dublin on the way back as its 12 hours car drive. I am the solo driver with spouse and two kids (10 & 4).
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I would strongly recommend you not try to make that drive in one day, especially not with kids and even more so as a solo driver. Real World, it's more likely to take you 13-14 hours, and that's just too far in one day to be enjoyable or safe.

If you're limited to 7 days, I'd spend most of day 6 around the Canyon, but then start making your way back west. You should get at least as far as Kingman to have a reasonable final day on the road, although Laughlin, Needles, or Lake Havasu City could all be good choices.

4. Default Need Advice: Bay Area/Dublin to LV to Grand Canyon

Thanks for your responses.

I am planning to travel on 12/25 and I have already booked my hotels for LV and GC stay. I agree that its too much of a drive directly from GC to Bay Area and should plan for a overnight stop on Day 7 and reach home on Day 8. I need to book hotel for overnight stay.
    Day 1 - Day time drive from Dubin to LV (I have done many times so no worries here)
    Day 3,4 - Stay in LV and visit surrounding areas as well.
    Day 5 - Travel to Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam
    Day 6 - Grand Canyon Vicinity
    Day 7 - Travel to overnight stay hotel
    Day 8 - Back to home

I was comparing the nearest city from GC which is in between and it seems LA seems middle ground but have been to LA many times. 2nd preference would be Kingman. What would be your recommendation? I hope there are no extreme weather consideration here as I have not looked into that angle yet.

GC to Lake Havasu: 8h 563m To Dublin: 8h 563m
    GC to Laughlin Nevada: 8h 550m To Dublin: 8h 551m
    GC to Kingman: 3h 168m To Dublin: 8h 583m
    GC to LA: 7h 485m To Dublin: 5h 350m

Thanks.

SK

Los Angeles isn't middle ground, because it is a huge detour away from the direct route home - adding about 100 extra miles.

If you wanted to get closer to halfway, Barstow is about the perfect halfway point, and as an old Route 66 town, there are a wide variety of hotel options. If you wanted to go a bit farther, then Mojave or Bakersfield would be better choices than LA.

There's some chance that you'd see winter weather around the Grand Canyon - it is up around 7,000 feet in elevation after all. That's the only area you're really likely to see bad conditions, although there is a slight chance of an issue going over Tehachapi Pass in California.

Day 7 is New Year's Eve, isn't it? I would not even try to stay in a big city such as LA. Hotels would be already heavily booked and quite expensive.

Kingman and Barstow have plenty of hotels, Needles, Mojave, and Tehachapi not so much. Bakersfield is likely to be pretty crowded.

Lake Havasu City was very nice, and I found an inexpensive but very clean, modernized motel, so ended up staying there coming/going from the Calif. coast this past October. Preferable over Kingman in my opinion and worth driving 20 miles out of my way. However, you aren't making much headway for your two-day trip from the Grand Canyon to the Bay area. Barstow is a much better choice, mid-point, and has a mix of the new and the old (nostalgic).