Default Los Angeles round trip via tombstone - monument valley - Bryce - Zion etc ?

We have 21 nights next July - August for our third road trip. It's proving a little tricky and would like advice. We are staying for 2 or 3 days in San diego at the beginning then finishing off for 8 or 9 days on the coast and in LA (we have 2 teenage girls). That leaves around 10 days on the road and as an old western fan I would like to see tombstone - monument valley - Bryce Canyon - Zion. Would appreciate how I might knit this together. have previously done vegas-death valley-Yosemite-la-grand canyon so would prefer to avoid those if possible. I don't mind piling 350 miles into the occasional day.

Melbourne, Australia

Default A great plan for a wonderful trip.

Welcome back.

did you keep any maps or a road atlas from your last trip. That will show you all there is, as well as what routes to take, much more clearly and specific than a small screen will.

At 350 miles per day, you would spend 5 days driving the route. With your time in SD and LA, that still leaves 4 or 5 days exploring the parks you visit, as well as other sites along the way.

Tucson is a lovely place with the cactus gardens. Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona are worth taking the short detour. But don't rush it, it's beautiful. After Monument Valley, Moab would be a great place to stay. Right near Arches and Canyonlands. Then scenic route UT12 to Bryce Canyon. It is a wonderful drive with great pull offs. US89 to Zion and back to LA via LV.
    If you have not been along the Pacific Coast Highway, you might think to drive that route back to LA. Although you have already visited them, you could drive straight through Death Valley and Yosemite and onto the coast around Carmel or Monterey. From there it is a two day drive along this great coastal highway back to LA with the most popular places to stop, San Simeon, Cambria and Morro Bay.

Have your girls taken part in the Junior Ranger program on previous trips? If not, I highly recommend you get them to participate at every national park you visit. They and you will greatly benefit from the program. If they have done it in the past, I guess you know all about its value.

Now if you don't have any maps to lay out this trip, I recommend you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks. You will find it invaluable during the planning, and of course, good maps are essential when on the road.

South of England.

You could get to Tombstone in a day from SD, but it would be long day so you could leave SD in the afternoon and get 150-200 miles under your belt. Heading north towards Monument valley you could stop in a Wig-Wam at Holbrook, or as suggested above head towards Sedona. If you take 191 north from I40 you would go right by Canyon De Chelley National Monument. From Monument valley you could go through Page AZ to Bryce canyon or go the 'longer way around and take 261 to Goosenecks SP and up the 'Moki Dugway', [a rather exciting drive, do a search] and then 95 to Hanksville/UT24 to Capitol Reef and scenic 12 to Bryce, an amazing drive ! Zion is a place I would recommend a couple of nights and at least a full day. You might also want to drive through Valley of Fire if you head south on 115 towards Vegas and if you had time you could visit Sequoia NP before hitting the coast.

Joplin MO

I don't think you would have the time to go to Moab and see Arches and Canyonlands, but the suggestion to take 95, 24, and 12 should be quite doable.