1. Default Trip from Winter Park Colorado to Mesa Arizona

We are traveling from Winter Park Colorado to Mesa Az Dec 30 - Jan 1. I would appreciate any input on Utah Hwy 191 (south from I-70), and Arizona 160 and 89 in the winter. Thanks.

Default What We Can Know, and What We Can't

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

All of the roads on your route are perfectly good. I-70 is of course Interstate quality through the Rockies and into east-central Utah. US-191,US-160 and US-89 are all good quality two-lane highways that are relatively flat and straight with decent speed limits, and finally I-19 is again Interstate quality from Flagstaff down to Phoenix with at least one long downgrade that may test your eardrums if you have a cold, but nothing to worry about otherwise.

What we can't possibly know yet, or for at least a couple of weeks, is what the weather might look like during your drive. All those roads are subject to inclement weather, especially the US routes which cross the Colorado Plateau at relatively high elevation. Your best bet is to keep a close eye on the weather forecasts in the last one to three days before you leave, and if bad weather is forecast for any time during the two days you've allotted for this drive (you have allotted a minimum of two days, haven't you?) then add a third day to your itinerary to allow you to sit out that weather and give the road crews plenty of time to get the roads back in clear, dry shape before you continue.

AZBuck

Default Monument valley

You could consider taking 191/163 to 160 as 163 will offer you good views of Monument valley on the approach and won't add any noticeable time to your journey, although you may want to stop.

I-19 is again Interstate quality from Flagstaff down to Phoenix with at least one long downgrade that may test your eardrums if you have a cold, but nothing to worry about otherwise.
    Better make that I-17. The other interstate is south of Tucson and usually sees no snow whatsoever. Otherwise, love that description of the downgrade!

Donna