1. Default Sports Car Road Trip

Hi,

I'm looking for a 1000-5000 mile drive leaving from Los Angeles and all I care about is driving the best roads possible (high speeds, switchbacks, etc. I want to drive it for all it's worth) for my new Corvette Stingray. There are lots of sites describing the best roads in America, but I can't find one that plots out the best road trip to hit as many as possibly as efficiently as possible.

Thanks!

Default They are everywhere.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

One thousand to five thousand miles and no direction is a little too broad for us to be giving you any meaningful advice as you will find thousands of miles of Highways and Byways to match what you are looking for. What I suggest you do is do a little research and study the maps and find destinations that appeal to you. Once these are marked on the map you can start to connect the dots and create routes using 'interesting' roads and we can also come in with suggestions. At the moment I would suggest you look at heading through Arizona into Utah and Colorado. A couple you might want to check out is UT24/ scenic 12 and the San Juan Skyway in Colorado [including the Million dollar highway] maybe drive through Monument valley and up the Moki Dugway !

Default Well, Here's the Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

A constraint of "a 1000-5000 mile drive leaving from Los Angeles and all I care about is driving the best roads possible" is really no constraint at all. With a 5000 mile RoadTrip, you could pretty much get to any road in the contiguous 48 states, and 'best roads possible' is a highly subjective criterion. Certainly there are classic wide open roads with great scenery, old Route 66 from Kingman through Peach Springs to Seligman in Arizona comes to mind. And certainly there are twisty roads that are routinely driven for all they're worth, such as the Tail of the Dragon in the mountains of east Tennessee. But no one is going to be able to give you a list of the best and certainly not a list of what's best for you. Only you can do that. So the first thing that pretty much everyone here is going to recommend is that you get yourself a good road atlas of the U.S. and start looking for the roads marked as scenic (typically with a parallel green dashed or dotted line) and then looking into those. Another good place to start is with the Federal Highway Administration's America's Byways.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-13-2015 at 09:14 PM.

And certainly there are twisty roads that are routinely driven for all they're worth, such as the Tail of the Dragon in the mountains of east Tennessee.
    Not any more - there have been so many wrecks that it's constantly and strictly patrolled these days.