1. Default Salt Lake City, UT to Dayton, OH

Hello RTA folks

I will moving to dayton for school at the end of Dec (may be early Jan). I may use I-70 for most of the trip instead of I-80, I thought the chance of snow on I-70 is lower than I-80 since the latitude.
    I plan overnight at Denver, Salina, Kansas, St Louis during the trip. I may stay 2 days each at Denver and St Louis for visiting friends and city tour (not must, if I-80 is better than I-70, I may visit next time).

For SLC to Denver, I have two options, I-80 via WY, then turn to I-25 or I-15, US-6, I-70. I have experience on early January from SLC to Arches National Park, all most half way to the Denver. I never driving on I-80 to WY before.

I see a lot of pervious reports, some people may skip Eisenhower Tunnel by detour to Loveland Pass via US-6. I don't understand the reason.

I will driving 2010 Jetta with new all season tire installed on March (4000 miles), I have AutoSock also the snow chain.

Any comments or suggestion for my plan?

Thanks a lot

(English is not my mother tongue, sorry for the grammar error)

Default Loveland Pass.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick_hsu View Post
    I see a lot of pervious reports, some people may skip Eisenhower Tunnel by detour to Loveland Pass via US-6. I don't understand the reason.
    Loveland Pass is one of those passes which is kept open all year for trucks with hazardous materials, which can't go through the tunnel. It is absolutely beautiful up there at 11.000 ft. But then, if there is a lot of snow and wind, it may not be that comfortable to enjoy that view..

(English is not my mother tongue, sorry for the grammar error)
    Don't worry your grammar is better than some who should know better.

Lifey

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by patrick_hsu View Post
    I will moving to dayton for school at the end of Dec (may be early Jan). I may use I-70 for most of the trip instead of I-80, I thought the chance of snow on I-70 is lower than I-80 since the latitude.
    The idea that staying south will bring you better weather is the single biggest myth of winter travel. You might see better weather on I-70 - but it's just as likely that I-70 could be seeing bad weather, while I-80 is completely clear on the days of your travel.

That said, if you want to visit friends in Denver and St. Louis, there is nothing wrong with going that route - the point is that you'll need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts no matter which way you go.

Generally speaking from Denver to SLC, I'd recommend I-80, as it is an All-Interstate route, although again, this really is a case where you are best off looking at the weather reports just before you leave. I-80 can be challenging because it can see high winds and blowing snow, but I-70 can be challenging because it reaches 11,000 feet as it goes over the rockies. If you take I-70, you would not want to take Loveland Pass. The reason people take it is either for a scenic detour or because they are hauling hazardous materials that can't be taken in the tunnel.

4. Default

Thank you very much, Midwest Michel and Lifey

From Denver to St.Louis, is there any points of interest or history site near the I-70

Default 1930s Dustbowl.

That route will take you right through the area of the 1930s disastrous dustbowl. It might pay you to do a little reading about what caused it, and the almost decade long affects of it, if you are not familiar with that part of history, so that you can relate it to the country as you roll on I-70.

Lifey

I-70 from Denver to St Louis has a number of stops of interest!

In Burlington, CO, just before you get to the Kansas border, there is an old carousel in Kit Carson Park there.

A little further east, in Hays, KS, there is the Sternberg Museum of Natural History - part of Fort Hays State University.

Going still further east, Abilene KS is the home of the President Dwight D. Eisenhower Library and Museum. Abilene is also the home to the Russell Stover Candies Outlet Center -- on a good day, the lure of the smell of chocolate comes down the freeway for several miles. (We keep resisting, but one of these days, I'm going in there!)

US Citizens may tour Fort Riley, which is clearly visible from the freeway.

Kansas City -- well, it's home to many things, including some good BBQ places, good jazz clubs, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Crowne Center Plaza (shopping), Worlds of Fun, and more.

Getting into Missouri -- in Independence (eastern suburb of KC), there is the President Harry Truman Library and Home. Also in Independence is the National Frontier Trails Center. Here you can learn about the trails that headed west (Oregon Trail, Santa Fe Trail, and more) and a bit about Lewis & Clark, as well.

A little further east, you will be crossing the Missouri River again just west of Columbia.There is a winery Les Bourgeois with a lovely picnic area. Or you can just stock up for the evening at a storefront that is practically right on top of the freeway.

Columbia is a college town -- home to Mizzou (University of Missouri), Stephens College, and more. It's also a good place to stock up on anything you might need, because most of the best stores are right next to the 70.

Moving further east, Graham Cave State Park is not far from the freeway.

Once you get into St Louis, there is no end to the number of things to do. The famous Arch is available for tour, but you must buy your ticket online before you come. Unfortunately, the museum underneath it is closed for renovation at this time. The old courthouse next door is available. St Louis Zoo has free admission but some of the better parts of it have an admission fee. Grant's Farm is also free.

Hope this helps!

Donna