Thread: Akron to Vegas

1. Default Akron to Vegas

Planning on driving from Akron,OH to Vegas in early March.There will be two of us driving and our hope is to make it in three days. I know the most direct route would be to go through the mountains, but have been warned we may be better off taking the southern route using 40,44, and 93 to avoid potential bad weather. Is three days realistic if the plan is to only stop for stretching,fueling up, and rest areas? And any recommendations on overnight stopping points? Thanks

Default A common misconception.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by brenz566 View Post
    ... but have been warned we may be better off taking the southern route using 40,44, and 93 to avoid potential bad weather.
    The fact is that all cross country routes can and do see winter weather. The best way to avoid potential bad weather is to keep an eye on the weather forecast, starting a week or so before your departure. The most direct route (I-70) is the best way to go, however, if you see potential problems on that route, be sure to have a plan B.

Is three days realistic if the plan is to only stop for stretching,fueling up, and rest areas?
    At more than 2100 miles via the most direct route, this is a three and a half day trip no matter how many dirvers you have. It is not possible to 'rest' in a moving vehicle, and both will need to be alert at all times for safety's sake. Plan to drive even distance each day, No more than. 600 miles, which is the maximum professional drivers may drive in 24 hours, because of safety concerns. This will keep you on the road for 11 - 12 hours each day and allow for basic stops to stretch legs, fuel, food, etc. With the shorter daylight hours you might like to reduce this to 500 - 550 miles per day, and take a full four days for the trip.

Of course if you need to go a longer route to avoid weather, adjust the time accordingly.

Lifey

I know the most direct route would be to go through the mountains, but have been warned we may be better off taking the southern route using 40,44, and 93 to avoid potential bad weather. Is three days realistic if the plan is to only stop for stretching,fueling up, and rest areas?

The problem with your theory of taking the southern route is that it also goes over mountains. I-40 gets up to near 8,000 feet in Arizona, and I-40 sees plenty of snow and ice across both the mountains of AZ and NM and the southern plains through Texas and Oklahoma (go take a look at news stories about travel around Amarillo over Thanksgiving for a good example.)

Having said that, the total distance between taking I-70 or I-40 in your case is pretty small, with I-40 adding less than 100 miles, so the key really will be the weather forecasts. Take a look at the forecasts just before you leave, and if there is a storm on one route, then look to take the other.

As far as making it in 3 days, no that is not realistic, or at least not safe. You need at least 3 overnight stops on this trip. If you take the I-40 route, possible stops would be Sullivan, MO; Shamrock, TX; and Holbrook, AZ. On a more Northern Route, Iowa City; Julesburg, CO; and Salina, Ut would be options.

Mind you, those are maximum distances you should be looking to travel. If you see bad weather, you would have to shorten them up.

On that final night from Michael's suggestions, 20 miles further is Richfield, UT, with a lot more choices for motels. They are often $20 cheaper per night, too, probably because of the competition. Richfield motels often are included in the motel coupon books, too, while the Salina motels may or may not be. I'm not sure why; this has been our experience in traveling I-70 through Utah for the past 30+ years.

Donna