Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New Jersey to Florida

Hi,

I am planning for driving from Iselin, NJ to Orlando Florida for Christmas and New Year. Planning to start on 18th for 2 weeks visit. Since the drive is for 15-17 hours I am thinking to break the journey into two parts. Part 1 - NJ to Charlotte(NC) and Part 2 - Charlotte to Orlando(FL) during which I will be visiting a friend in Charlotte and also will have a rest for 1 day(19th) and then start for Orlando on 20th.

I have done earlier driven for 600-700(7 hrs) miles in single stretch but this one drive of 1100 miles ii will be doing first time.

Requesting your expert advice on the best and safest routes for the road trip. Also if possible kindly advice on the maps that i should have handy, tools/utilities/gears (for my car care) for such long journey.

Note: As of now I am doing this journey alone( I don't mind that), but might get a company by Dec 16th. Also I do not prefer late night driving.

Default Two relaxed days.

Quote Originally Posted by vermanaman08 View Post
    I have done earlier driven for 600-700(7 hrs) miles in single stretch but this one drive of 1100 miles ii will be doing first time..
    It is definitely a two day journey. With a day's break in Charlotte, a great half way point, should make for a nice relaxed trip. It is recommended that you not drive further than 600 - the maximum professional drivers are permitted to drive for safety reasons.

Go to AAA, where they have excellent maps - free to members. The alternative is to purchase a road atlas which will give you all the maps for North America. Many of us prefer to travel with both for the variety of information available on them.

Have your car checked over by a good mechanic before you leave, and let him/her know the trip you will be undertaking. If its well maintained it should be fine for a trip to FL.

BTW, how did you go on the trip to the FL Keys?

Lifey

Default Memory and Computer Tricks

Two things jumped out at me about your post. The first is a rather standard mistake that people make in this age of digital mapping, and that is to believe the driving time estimates that they get from software routines. Such estimates are pure fantasy. They only account for time actually spent behind the wheel and even then assume that you can drive at or above the speed limit for every second of every minute of every hour that you're on the road. They assume that you will never see a stop sign or traffic light; that there will be no construction zones, lane closures, or even bad weather on your journey; that you will never get behind a slow moving truck, RV, or Sunday driver; that you will never need to stop for gas, or food, or even to go to the bathroom! A good working rule-of-thumb is to add about 20% more time than they suggest and then add any other time that you plan to spend stopped for longer periods such as at attractions or, you know, sleeping.

The second is the trick that your memory is clearly playing on you when you say that you have previously driven 700 miles in seven hours! Sorry, no. And if your really think so and are making plans based on that 'memory' you need to seriously reconsider those plans.

As it is, your first day's drive to Charlotte is going to be pushing the boundaries of what is safe. But oddly enough, I'm going to suggest that you make it just a bit longer. The shortest route, and the one computer-based software will recommend, is to take I-95 to Petersburg VA and then I-85 to Charlotte. That's already a long drive at about 610 miles but what's even worse is that it has you on some of the most congested and enervating roads in America: the Jersey, Delaware and Maryland Turnpikes, and pushing through Baltimore, DC and Richmond. A better routing would have you avoid all that by taking I-78 west to I-81 near Harrisburg PA and following that down to I-77 in southwestern Virginia for the rest of the drive. That adds abut 15 miles but can probably be driven in less time, and is certainly less demanding and more scenic.

But note! There simply aren't enough daylight hours in December to make this drive without at least some late night (or early morning) driving in the dark.

Then, after a day to recuperate, you'll be in shape for the final day's 520 miles or so to Orlando.

AZBuck

4. Default

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I have gone to Keywest and that was from Orlando to Keywest (with a night halt in Miami).

The 700 miles that i have done earlier were from Vermont - Boston- New Jersey on the same day.

5. Default

Hi AZBuck,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I will look for the I-78 and I-81 route suggested by you.

I am planning to start on Friday Dec 19th around 2 PM. So if i think including everything the travel time should be around 9-10 hrs, so that i will reach Charlotte by 1 AM.

Thinking of taking th same route on the return journey.

Also please advise if NjEZPass works outside NJ. I know florida uses Sunpass system. But not sure if EZpass works there.

You continue to use fantasy travel time estimates, despite what you've been told. The trip to Charlotte will take you a minimum of 11 hours, and much more likely about 12 or 13.

If you're planning to leave at 2pm, it will likely be closer to 2-3am when you arrive - and I have to say, for someone who said "I do not prefer late night driving," that sounds both dangerous and pretty darn silly.

The 700 mile trip you previously did was unwise, but what Buck said is that it was physically impossible to do such a trip in 7 hours (averaging 100 mph!) as you claimed.

EZ-Pass does not work in Florida, but it does work in pretty much every state with tolls in the Northeast US.

Default I Doubt It

Quote Originally Posted by
    vermanaman08
    I am planning to start on Friday Dec 19th around 2 PM. So if i think including everything the travel time should be around 9-10 hrs, so that i will reach Charlotte by 1 AM.
    Again, I think you are seriously both underestimating how long this drive is going to take and overestimating your own stamina. What you are proposing is to go for almost a full work day (whether or not you're 'working') before starting out and THEN driving farther than a professional long-haul trucker is legally permitted to drive due to fatigue factors and the danger of being on the road that long. And you will be doing so at a time when, by your own admission, you "do not prefer late night driving." I just don't see how you expect any of this to work out for you.

AZBuck

8. Default

Let me say one thing... the time i mentioned is the minimum time i can check. Nobody can guess or estimate on the weather conditions or road conditions or traffic conditions or break duration. The time you have mentioned can also exceed to 16-17 hrs if we start considering all factors that this can happen that can happen. . There is no such thing about 'fantasy duration'. I am just taking a rough calculation and they can vary.

Nobody can drive 8-9 hours continuously, everybody knows that, but I think you are assumed that I am planning to drive 9 hours straight. And if i am not able to make to Charlotte by 1 AM i'll take a motel/hotel on the way. but definately not going to drive after 1 AM.

I'm really not sure what we can say to make it more simple: We are talking about minimum travel times, factoring in the minimum stops for gas, food, restrooms, etc.

No one has said anything about driving 8-9 hours continuously, and obviously, your travel times could be much higher if you have to stop more frequently, see more traffic, etc.

So Yes, it absolutely is a "fantasy duration" that you'll be able to cover 650 miles in as little as 9 hours - despite what an online mapping program might tell you. The only way to do that would be to grossly exceed the speed limit. In the real world, factoring in minimum stops (which you actually can estimate), you're doing very well to average 60 mph, on the east coast it is usually closer to 55 mph, and that's when you have a cruising speed of around 75 mph. That means even in a best case, this trip will take you 11 hours.

You can use a rough calculation of anything you'd like, but the numbers you have been using throughout this thread (15-17 hours for the 1100 mile drive to Florida, 9-10 hours for a 650 mile drive to Charlotte, or 7 hours for a 700 miles drive) just aren't even close to realistic. You can choose to believe us or not, but that's what thousands upon thousands of miles of experience have shown time and time again.

10. Default

If you see my earlier posts it does said starting "2pm start time and reach around 1 AM" to Charlotte , which is 11 hours of drive time and some rest time/gas filling. But as per reality it may increase based upon many factors.

It think we both are saying same things but in a different way. Thanks for your expert advice, I will like to consider the route option which you have suggested for Charlotte.

Can you please guide me for the route that I should be taking when traveling from Charlotte to Orlando.