1. Default RV Roadtrip | Eklhart, IN to Middletown, NJ | Mid March 2016

Hello

We are a middle aged Australian Couple doing an RV relocation for Roadbear in March 2016 from Middlebury, IN to Middletown, NJ. Obviously due to the timing (cannot be moved) feasibility of route is our largest concern. We are experienced travellers, and have spent considerable time driving on the "wrong" side of the road, however we have no experience in snow/ice situations.

We have mud mapped the route we would like to take below, and I would be so grateful for criticism and advice please, as well as alternates if required (bearing in mind this is a fixed period rental which cannot be modified in terms of dates, or pickup or drop off points.

My main concern is feasibility and driving conditions, suggested campgrounds, things we absolutely shouldn’t miss etc.

We love road trips, love the natural environment, easy walks, good food and interesting history. We are not really into museums, galleries, markets, shopping etc. We do a lot of travelling by Camper and Car and when we do we like to cover quite a bit of ground by having transit days and touring days. Particularly when you have limited time, it is not possible to see 'everything' an area may have to offer, so we pick and choose, have days where we move little and others where we just drive.

Another point, is that we are aware that this vehicle will be winterised, thus not self contained, we will need campgrounds, however don't mind free camping the odd night to cut costs where we can. Our budget is just what it costs, without being silly.

Thanks for listening, I've tried to give the information you may need to provide us with well needed advice, please let me know if I've left anything out.

Day One – Middlebury, IN (near Elkhart) to Rockville, IN
    Amish Country Drive, US31, Lafayette, River Road Scenic Byway, US41

Day Two – Rockville, IN to Nashville, TN
    Driving Day – Not sure of route but starting with the Parke County Covered Bridges near Rockville then a driving day possibly the 59 South, onto the 46, then the 37 South into French Lick. South onto the I64 then south on the 65 and into Nashville by Early Evening.

Day Three – Nashville

Day Four – Nashville, TN – Blue Ridge Parkway, NC

Driving Day –Via Chatanooga (because we want to then up to Cherokee and into perhaps the 340 Mile mark of the Parkway (130 miles in)

Day Five – Blue Ridge Parkway

From the 340 mile mark to the 90 mile mark – very roughly.

Day Six – Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive – DC

All day Parkway to Front Royal, then down into DC early evening (meeting a friend for dinner in DC) – have spent time in DC before so not really looking to see much here.

Day Seven – DC to Philadelphia

Day Eight – Philadelphia to Middletown (Drop Off at 10am)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default 'Free' overnights.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Another point, is that we are aware that this vehicle will be winterised, thus not self contained, we will need campgrounds, however don't mind free camping the odd night to cut costs where we can. Our budget is just what it costs, without being silly.
    Can't comment greatly on your trip, but when I travel the US in my campervan I often park overnight at truck stops. These are 24 hours, well lit and have people coming and going all night. I have always felt safe. All the facilities you need are right there, including showers for a fee. Many also have a small sink where you can get hot water to do dishes. Some also have restaurants though most have changed to fast food outlets. And of course you can fill up while you are there.

It may pay you to get hold of this publication, which lists those truck stops which make RVs welcome, though I always ask at the desk if it is OK and ask where to park. It will depend on the size of your rig as to where you will be asked to park.

Lifey

3. Default

Thank you for that information lifemagician, would be great to do that some of the nights, I think I'll get the book