1. Default What are the road trip suggestions from Dallas?

Hello people,
    My friends and I have 10 days. And we are the bestest of friends since school. It's a group of 4. We will all be getting together at one place after 2 years. A friend and I live in Chicago. One lives in Dallas, another in Boise. We all are planning to assemble in Dallas, and take a 10 day road trip. On the checklist is California. I want to go to grand canyon, and death valley. We are all Indians, hence we really do not know what is good. Grand canyon looks great in pictures, hence, I want to visit that place. And the dates are Dec 20-30.

We do not want to go on the east side, since it will be dead cold, and we have already seen enough winter staying in Chicago. What would be a great road trip for these 10 days? I would really be thankful for your suggestions. Thank you.

Default A little more info.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

A great road trip is the trip which takes you to the places you are all interested in. And since you have not told us a great deal of your interests, it is hard for us to say. If you are starting in Dallas, where will be your end point? If you are all coming from different places, I would meet up in Las Vegas, and do the national parks all in a loop trip from there.

Get out a good detailed map and sit down and see what interests you. All these places are marked on good maps.

Lifey

I would meet up in Las Vegas, and do the national parks all in a loop trip from there.
    I had the exact same initial thought given the places you want to visit. The weather is unpredictable, but you should also be prepared for winter weather in the west, particularly anywhere near high elevation such as the Grand canyon.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

A great road trip is the trip which takes you to the places you are all interested in. And since you have not told us a great deal of your interests, it is hard for us to say. If you are starting in Dallas, where will be your end point? If you are all coming from different places, I would meet up in Las Vegas, and do the national parks all in a loop trip from there.

Get out a good detailed map and sit down and see what interests you. All these places are marked on good maps.

Lifey
    Sorry about that. First, we will be returning back to Dallas on 30th.

It can be anything. We have seen the elite structures in Chicago though, so we don't really have them in sight. Any scenic location would do good. I have been to starved rock state park here in Illinois. We have the west to explore, so any suggestion on that side? The only things I have in mind are Grand Canyon and Death valley since I have seen them in many movies..

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I had the exact same initial thought given the places you want to visit. The weather is unpredictable, but you should also be prepared for winter weather in the west, particularly anywhere near high elevation such as the Grand canyon.
    I hope it doesn't snow there? Are there any blue water locations in the west?

Default In that case....

...... you might lie to follow the suggestions in this paragraph, since you have some destinations already in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Lifey

If you are planning a trip to California then you must enjoy biking on Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. SF offers many beautiful attractions to it's visitors but don't forget to carry map, that will help you a lot.