1. Default Chicago to Las Vegas trip

I a planning a road trip from Chicago to Las Vegas with my ending point at San Francisco.

My main is to visit Grand Canyon and a few places along the way and Las Vegas.

I would like to start off from Dec 3rd and finish at SFO airport on 11th Dec.

Could you kindly advise which route to take and which is the best way to cover the above places and whether it can be done.

South of England.

Default It's achievable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's going to take 4 overnight stops for the journey itself so it can certainly be done but you do have route options and there is never one 'best' option, so you need to look and see which "few places along the way" appeal to you. My preferred choice would be to head to Denver and drive I-70 into Utah. You could perhaps visit Arches and Canyonlands NP's near Moab and then drive down 191 and take 163 through Monument Valley to the Grand canyon. From Vegas you might want to check out the landscape of Death valley, but to get to SF you will almost certainly have to go south around the mountains via Bakersfield. The Tioga Pass [CA120] that goes through Yosemite is closed at present due to snow on the high ground and it's increasingly likely it will remain closed for the season, but that's not to say you couldn't visit Yosemite from the west side. You will have to pick and choose with your time frame and weather could play a part in your plans. For example if there were snow storms in the Rockies it could be worth opting for I-40 if that is clear.

So basically have a look at your options and then keep them open with a plan 'B' in case the weather doesn't co-operate.

3. Default

Thanks Dave for your advise.
    I am thinking of arriving by flight or train to Las Vegas and from there Drive to Grand Canyon spend a day or two and continue my journey to San Francisco.I would like to visit Pebble Beach golf course on my way to san francisco.
    From Las Vegas to San francisco whihc would be the ideal route to take if I would want to stop at Pebble Beach.
    At this time of the year how is the road condition in grand canyon areas

South of England.

If you stay in Vegas and then visit GC there would be no need to go back to Vegas you can take a more direct route towards SF by taking I40 towards Bakersfield. After that it will depend on your time frame but why not head to the coast around Morro Bay/Cambria and drive the spectacular Big Sur coastline up to Monterey. You will need to keep an eye on weather forecasts nearer the time you travel, it's impossible to predict this far in advance. You could see clear sunny weather or you could see a full on winter storm, hopefully not ! Pack some warm layers as it does get cold at elevation.

5. Default

Thanks for the idea. I will drive up the Big Sur coastline on the way to San francisco.