Default From Connecticut to Florida!

Hi guys,

My family and I are planning to drive down to Florida from Connecticut. There will be 8 adults and 2 kids ages 6 and 3. Since its going to be a long way we want to see as many things along the a we can. Beautiful sites, mountains and caves, try foods unique to those states, activities kids can also enjoy. wE Have a week. We want to be able to spend at least 3 days in florida, That leaves us with 4 days. Any and all suggestions and advice will be much appreciated!

Default Long days on the road.

At 1200 miles from Hartford to Orlando, that is two long days on the road. Given the large travelling party, which means every stop will take just that bit longer, you will be looking at a minimum of 10 - 12 hours on the road each day, by the most direct route. With young children on board, you will also want to stop every couple of hours so they can burn off some of that pent up energy.

For checking out attractions along the way, given the reduced daylight in December, you might like to consider adding at least another day each way.

Remember, if you took your time from a computer mapping program, that computers never need to stop for fuel, food, bathroom or anything else. Computers never see a red light, traffic congestion or any other slow downs. Their timing is complete fantasy.

Lifey

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    At 1200 miles from Hartford to Orlando, that is two long days on the road. Given the large travelling party, which means every stop will take just that bit longer, you will be looking at a minimum of 10 - 12 hours on the road each day, by the most direct route. With young children on board, you will also want to stop every couple of hours so they can burn off some of that pent up energy.

For checking out attractions along the way, given the reduced daylight in December, you might like to consider adding at least another day each way.

Remember, if you took your time from a computer mapping program, that computers never need to stop for fuel, food, bathroom or anything else. Computers never see a red light, traffic congestion or any other slow downs. Their timing is complete fantasy.

Lifey
    Thanks for the tip..that did not cross my mind.

Default Nine Days Round Trip?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read your post you have nine days (a week including both weekends) to get to Florida, spend some time there, and get all the way back to Connecticut. As Lifey points out, it will take you a bare minimum of two days under the best of conditions, using the most direct all-Interstate route, and with none but the most essential stops for food, fuel and bathrooms. But you won't have the best of conditions - you'll have ten people (traveling in two or three vehicles?) including two children. And you don't want to just slog down I-95 you want to see 'mountains and caves' (none on I-95) and try 'try foods unique to those states' (none at the exit ramp fast food joints that are all you'd have time for).

So, to fulfill any of your RoadTrip dreams, you'll need a bare minimum of three days for the drive each way. That will let you take a couple of different routes and make a couple of hour or so stops each day at sites that appeal to you including mountains, caves, local eateries, etc. That still leaves you three full days in Florida (as long as you're not planning on something much farther south then Tampa-Orlando-Cape Canaveral. If you have that much time and such a basic itinerary is acceptable to the members of your group, then you can have an enjoyable RoadTrip. But understand that it will be busy and you won't have any time to really relax until it's over.

AZBuck

5. Default

I've done that trip a few different ways.
    1. The Blitz. Leave CT at the crack of dawn, and make it past DC on day 1. If you're in central Virginia, you're good. You can stop at Williamsburg and spend a day - I haven't been but my family has, and they enjoyed it. Day 2 you've got to hit Myrtle Beach. Charleston is nicer if you can do it. Savannah is lovely and the Hyatt across the river is a blast to stay. The beaches are too cold this time of year until at least central FL. Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge is my favorite and doesn't take much time. Plan out your hotels along the way as you can wind up in crapville with no place to stay. Florida is where you want to be, just get there.

Option 2: The Meander. Which leaves you about 2-3 days in Florida. Really? I'd rather meander on the East Coast of FL any day. Going to Palm Beach? Spend some time in Miami. Orlando? Drive over to Clearwater or head to Cape Canaveral.

Option 3: Blitz to DC, pick up the auto train, and relax. Or better yet, take the train the whole way down. Especially with kids, it's much more fun.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. learning a lot from all of your suggestions. How much time would i need if I want to go to key west islands as well.
    Also are there any other worthwhile stops besides DC and around. we hve already been there a few times.

Default Two Days, At Least

In order to include Key West in your travels, you would have to add a minimum of two days to your driving time. That's a full day there and a full day back (from the Orlando area assumed in my previous reply) with NO stops along the way and assuming relatively un congested conditions (not likely) along US-1, the Overseas Highway.

You should also check my previous reply for lists of numerous things to see on the way down besides Washington DC. But the simple truth is that you are time-limited already and adding more miles and more things to do are not helpful at this point.

AZBuck

Default The overseas highway.

US-1 - the overseas highway - to Key West is two lanes each way, separated by ocean. When there is an accident on the overseas parts, it has been known to come to a standstill for up to an hour. No chance of turning around and heading back.

The overseas highway is a two and a half hour drive, but don't count on it.

Lifey