1. Default Houston to Jacksonville need advice

I'm driving with 2 little kids. I'm thinking of stopping in New Orleans and then I need advice on where to stay. CanI make it in 2 days or should I plan for 3?

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Days - But Not New Orleans

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can drive from Houston to Jacksonville relatively comfortably in two days, even with kids, but New Orleans really doesn't work very well for an overnight stop. First of all, it's a bit out of the way, adding unnecessary miles. Second, it's not near the half-way point of the trip, leaving you a fairly long drive, near the limit of what I'd recommend, on the second day. Third, New Orleans' major attractions really aren't that kid friendly and you wouldn't have very much time to see them anyway before bedtime.

So what I'd suggest instead is that you use I-12 between Baton Rouge and Slidell rather than take the longer I-10 route into New Orleans and back out. A good half-way overnight stopping point would be around Pascagoula MS or Mobile AL, both of which will have lots of lodging options. That would make for two very relaxed days of driving requiring 'only' about 6½ hours of actual behind-the-wheel time each, leaving time for you to make a few stops each day to let the kids get some fresh air and exercise and for you to take a break from driving.