1. Default From chicago to denver tomorrow

Hey guys first thank u for this forum , second im visiting the US and planning to take a road trip with my friend from chicago to denver via i-80 (starting tomorrow-tuesday and coming back on sunday) may you please help me in mapping a journey, with attractions along the way , which cities and towns to choose to stop , sleep and eat .. Planning to spend 3 days in denver so would stay a night on the road in nebraska maybe !!!? And finally some cool stuff in denver .. Appreciating your help and prompt reply as we are departing tomorrow , thank you :)

You don't say what your interests are, and I do hope that you plan an overnight stop each way. That is a thousand miles, and at least a twenty hour drive. I would cut the time in Denver to 2 days if you must be back in Chicago by Sunday.

As for things to see and do along the way, go to the Map Wizard above and put in your start and end points. Then click on the "Find Road Trip Attractions" button and about 60 will appear. Just click on each flag to see what's there. I'll bet you can find at least a dozen or more places to visit just from that alone. One I recommend is the Platte River Archway at Kearney, NE.

Now that I've given you something to do for the rest of your Monday, have a nice day at it, and have a good and enjoyable trip.
    Roadhawk

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Chicago to Denver is a 1,000 mile drive - a dangerous distance to try and do in one shot, even with 2 drivers. An overnight stop is an absolute must if you care about your safety and the safety of others on the road.

Grand Island, Nebraska really is about as far as you should try to do before stopping for the night. Even that is 600 miles, means 10-12 hours of on the road time, and wouldn't leave any time for exploration along the way.

As far as mapping a journey with places along the way, that's exactly what the RTA Map Center is designed for. I'd start there, and if you have any specific questions, we'll be glad to help.

Current weather forecast is for a blizzard on the plains to the east of Denver for the night of Nov 16.

You need to be ready to deal with it when you encounter it. Could turn a 2 day drive into a 3 day drive - one way.

US govt aviation weather prognosis charts can show you what/where to expect it-
    http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/progs/

Edit- studying those prog charts it appears that you'll be driving in snowstorms for half a day - depending on when you start west. So the adventure might be different than what you expected when you planned the trip.
    Last edited by noFanofCB; 11-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Hi Roge -

Welcome to the forum - I'll put yet another voice out there that you shouldn't try to do the Chicago - Denver leg in one day. Give yourself time to enjoy the scenery, stop along the way, and don't make a rush out of it. Add in the snowfall and it's going to be quite different than perhaps you had expected anyway.

Here's yet another voice to chime in that you probably don't have enough days set aside for this trip and still have 3 days to spend in Denver. I will also agree that you need to stay overnight in both directions. You could either do 500/500, 600/400, or similar, but you need 2 days to drive each direction.

I'm thinking that perhaps you saw an online mapping program, or a GPS, that told you that the journey would be "around 16 hours", and you were thinking this could be done in one day? Well, the computer can, of course. But humans need to make stops for fuel, food, restrooms, and just plain get-out-of-the-car-stretching. So 1000 miles would be about 20 hours on the road -- 2 days. If you tried to do that "straight through", you'll get to Denver and be exhausted, not wanting to go anywhere or do anything for hours. Same with the trip back home -- Monday morning would be a-wash, trying to go back to work/school. If our weather people are correct, you'll be doing part of that in snowfall, which will mean it will take even longer.

Forget about things to see along the way unless your weather decides to be VERY cooperative.

Donna

I'd postpone this trip for a few days - right now the roads are terrible in western Nebraska and the whole state of Colorado. I-70 is closed east of Denver almost all the way to Kansas. It's snowing heavily with more to come and it's heading east.

Actually "the whole of Colorado" assertion is incorrect. I just drove 50 miles from Ft. Collins to Boulder on mostly dry roads. But the snow is 12" deep out on the eastern plains and about 8" deep from Denver south.
    One of the TV forecasts last night predicted a dry hole for the area of my commute and they got it right.
    But I sure wouldn't want to be out on I-76 right now. Jacknifed semi trucks and worse.