Thread: Portland to SFO

Default Portland to SFO

I have 4 days to reach SFO from Portland and want to enjoy both the scenic route and Crater National Park. Looking for suggestions on the best route to take and what are the must stop vistas enroute.

Welcome to RTA!

Exactly when will you be taking this trip? In the winter and spring, the only open road into Crater Lake is OR-62. The entrance road is maintained to the Rim Village - the north entrance and both rim drives are closed already and won't open till sometime in May or June.

With that in mind, you can take US-26 out of Portland to US-97. Take that south to Chiloquin and use OR-422 to cut over to OR-62 and take that to the park.

Leaving the park, take OR-62 the other way to OR-234 to I-5. Take that north to Grants Pass and take US-199 to the coast at Crescent City. Take US-101 south, you can explore Redwood National Park. Continuing south on US-101, you can get off at Humboldt Redwoods State Park and drive the Avenue of the Giants (CA-254). Continuing south on US-101, at Leggett you can pick up CA-1 for the rest of the way down the coast to US-101 just north of SF and take the Golden Gate Bridge into the city. The toll is $7.25 and all electronic, there are a few ways to pay the toll but there is no booth at the bridge to pay it.

Alternately, you can go west from Portland on US-26 to US-101 and drive the Oregon coast but you would have to get back to I-5 and Grants Pass to go to Crater Lake - or just bypass Crater Lake and stay on US-101.

With 4 days to play with, you have ample time to do any of these options.

Thanks GLC. I was planning to take the trip around Thanksgiving weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

Exactly when will you be taking this trip? In the winter and spring, the only open road into Crater Lake is OR-62. The entrance road is maintained to the Rim Village - the north entrance and both rim drives are closed already and won't open till sometime in May or June.

With that in mind, you can take US-26 out of Portland to US-97. Take that south to Chiloquin and use OR-422 to cut over to OR-62 and take that to the park.

Leaving the park, take OR-62 the other way to OR-234 to I-5. Take that north to Grants Pass and take US-199 to the coast at Crescent City. Take US-101 south, you can explore Redwood National Park. Continuing south on US-101, you can get off at Humboldt Redwoods State Park and drive the Avenue of the Giants (CA-254). Continuing south on US-101, at Leggett you can pick up CA-1 for the rest of the way down the coast to US-101 just north of SF and take the Golden Gate Bridge into the city. The toll is $7.25 and all electronic, there are a few ways to pay the toll but there is no booth at the bridge to pay it.

Alternately, you can go west from Portland on US-26 to US-101 and drive the Oregon coast but you would have to get back to I-5 and Grants Pass to go to Crater Lake - or just bypass Crater Lake and stay on US-101.

With 4 days to play with, you have ample time to do any of these options.

Default A couple more to watch out for.

Another nice detour from 101 is the Newton B Drury scenic parkway just south of Klamath. A little further south past Berry Glen is the Bald hills road that takes you to the Ladybird Johnson Grove which has a nice walking trail through the Redwoods. Before crossing the Golden Gate bridge turn off onto the Conzelman road that takes you up to the Marin Headlands. From there you will get amazing views of the bridge, Alcatraz Island and the City, fog permitting.

Thanks Southwest Dave. Marin headlands is indeed my favorite place to view the stunning Golden Gate Bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Another nice detour from 101 is the Newton B Drury scenic parkway just south of Klamath. A little further south past Berry Glen is the Bald hills road that takes you to the Ladybird Johnson Grove which has a nice walking trail through the Redwoods. Before crossing the Golden Gate bridge turn off onto the Conzelman road that takes you up to the Marin Headlands. From there you will get amazing views of the bridge, Alcatraz Island and the City, fog permitting.