Default Buying Gift Cards?

Sites like Gift Card Granny allow you to buy gift cards at a discounted price.

I'm wondering if it's a smart idea to buy gift cards for chain restaurants that you know you'll eat at while on your travels.

Part of me thinks it's smart...

-You can buy a gift card at a reduced price. For example, right now, you can buy McDonald's gift cards for 15% less than their value. You can buy Subway gift cards for 16% less than their value, and so on.
    -It's an easy way to budget and make sure you have enough money on hand to eat while you're traveling.
    -You can buy them one at a time while planning your trip, which is a good way to slowly save up....

Part of me thinks it's not-so-smart...
    -Why tie up all of your money for certain chains? You might get tired of those chains, or they might not be readily available on the road.
    -What if you spend more on the gift cards than you would have spent on food while you were gone? Now, some of your travel funds are tied up in gift cards, and you'll return home with gift cards that you don't necessarily want.

Thoughts?

Default All of me thinks it's no-so-smart.

Quote Originally Posted by lmking1224 View Post
    Part of me thinks it's not-so-smart...
    -Why tie up all of your money for certain chains? You might get tired of those chains, or they might not be readily available on the road.
    -What if you spend more on the gift cards than you would have spent on food while you were gone? Now, some of your travel funds are tied up in gift cards, and you'll return home with gift cards that you don't necessarily want.

Thoughts?
    You are spot on there. That would be my thoughts too. Besides, eating at 'chains', you are not going to experience local cuisine. You might as well stay home.

My favourite way of saving on food costs is to buy at regular supermarkets and grocery stores, and accepting and using all the various discount cards for those stores.

Lifey

Default They are not for me.

To be honest it's something I have never done as it doesn't appeal to me. If I am hungry and tired and want to eat and take a break, I don't want to be thinking that if I keep going another 45 miles I can save xx amount to eat something I may not particularly fancy at that time.

To be honest, I usually have a gift card or three in my wallet for chain restaurants. Often times, I get them as gifts, so I stash them aside "just in case". Only once did I ever use one on a trip.

I'm more likely to be a member of my favorite chain restaurants' e-clubs, so that I get coupons sent to me via email. Now those, we've used periodically, especially IHOP, while on trips.

Mostly, though, we have been trying to find the local flavor.

Donna

Like I said, I don't know if it's something I would do...but I can kind of see it being a good idea.

We do grab chain stuff while we're on the road but generally try to eat local stuff in the places that we stay.