One of my friends and I are planning a Road trip from NJ to San Fran next year - July 2016. We know a few things but are very much clueless on a lot on the logistic sides.
* We plan to rent a car (just so that we can share expenses equally) but we are open for other or better options. Our reasoning to rent a car is that the car can be replaced if there is a problem with the car by the rental company. I was researching and saw $10 per day from enterprise.
* We are nature loving ppl. My friend camps all the time and thus we do plan to camp a lot. I was reading on this websites from many ppl that we can get National Parks membership for $80 and then each night we stay at national park or camping site it might only cost us $20-$30 per night where as Ramada Inn, Clarion INN, Days INN and such would be $40-$60 per night. What would you guys suggest. and any tips on camping - I have never camped and thus would like to get more honest opinions.
* What would you suggest on Meals and snacks? We are trying to keep minimal budget on food - however, we do want to have coffee with the locals and have beer at local pubs and brewery.
* We also thought of having a running grocery list (PBJ, bread, Sandwich ingrediants, cereals, instant coffee, ramen noodles, water kettle that we can use at rest areas) and plan to stock up on fresh fruits and snacks (granola, trail mix, some chips and dips)
* Visiting Sight seeing places.... well have never explored beyond knoxville (just 50 mile radius from Knoxville) and Kansas City (30 mile radius from KC) We have only explored the East coast - New State, North and South Carolinas, Florida... And then LA in California. So we are completely open to explore. While reading many many posts on the website here, I came to know that the Rockies would be something that we both would enjoy. But we need suggestions. We definitely want to go to Las Vegas - that is for sure.
* As of right now the timeline of July 2016 is quite open on how many days we can be on the road. Both of us end a project around June and thus July would be a perfect time. As of right now we have not decided on how many days can be 15 or more or less. So if possible we would like to cover more.
* Also, we would like to do different different things. what i read is Grand Canyon, Bryan Canyon, Zion - all of these are similar - we would like to mix it up and explore more as well. And we are very much open for suggestions.
* I havent come across a check list for road trip here - do we have one available handy
We are trying to take this road trip on a shoestring budget so we can use all the help we can to plan.
I would like to have a travel + photo journal and would like ideas. Can anyone suggest someone's blog or travel journal that i can get ideas from.
We both know that both of us will never get a chance like this and this trip is going to be the best part of my life yet so we want to plan properly. I am one of those who enjoys planning and researching as much as experiencing so I would like to have a proper plan (and contentgency plans - Plan B and Plan C just in case :-)
Any and all help is very much appreciated.
Thanks & Regards,