We are in the very first stages of planning a road trip for next Summer, probably in May/June. We are 2 young adults who will travel with our adventurous Australian Shepherd dog! We currently live in New York City, but we are both Canadians and we haven't seen much of the US apart from the North-East (Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, etc.)
We want our road trip to last around 3 weeks and we will travel with our own car so we need to get back to NYC at the end. Although I would love to visit the west coast, I don't think it is reasonable to get there, visit and come back by car within 3 weeks, so it will be for a future trip. We will camp in a tent most of the time, we are equipped to sleep in the car if needed and we might get a cheap pet-friendly motel room once in a while. We are looking for places to visit, although we don't have a fixed itinerary in mind. Here are some preliminary thoughts:
- We like hiking, but we don't want to make it only a hiking trip
- We like cities, but don't want to just hop from city to city
- We hate museums, which is great because dogs are rarely allowed in museums!
- We don't want to leave our dog behind (in the car for extended hours or in a kennel), so parks like the Yellowstone are out of the picture since dogs are not allowed on hiking trails.
Places we would like to visit:
- Shenandoah National Park, Blue Ridge Parkway (already been, but would go again!)
- Some beach on the East Coast maybe?
- New Orleans (how dog-friendly is this city?)
- Route 66
- Grand Canyon (there are restrictions on pets, but as I've never been I don't know if it's still worth it???
- Some mountains / national parks in Colorado
Can you guys recommend some places in line with the above, or can you think of something else? A logical route would be to go down the East coast, then accross to New Orleans and then Texas, go through New Mexico to get to Colorado, and then come back to New York passing by many states I couldn't even place on the map! What is there to see in Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia?
Thanks in advance for your help!