1. Default San Francisco, CA to Victoria, BC. Driving the week of December 23rd

So I'm finally getting close to realizing this trip I've been planning for a couple years now. To visit my 2 best friends, in Victoria BC, I would be taking a road trip from SF. From what I was able to research, it seems like I'll be following the I5 - north to Washington. And from there ferry it via port Angeles to victoria. But I have a few concerns in all this.
    1) Ive done over 24 hrs of continuous driving multiple times before, so I'm planning on getting there in one shot. Does anybody have any experience of 5north during the last week of december? Icy? Snow? Not so much?
    2) The ferry connecting Port Angeles to Victoria seems to not be operating in January, and that's when I plan on returning. So what are my options? Via vancouver?
    3) And any other suggestions, please?

Default Playing with lives.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Ive done over 24 hrs of continuous driving multiple times before, so I'm planning on getting there in one shot.
    And any other suggestions, please?
    I would suggest you stop risking your life and that of others who are sharing the road with you. You are playing Russian Roulette where you can only get away with it so many times. Driving while fatigued is the second biggest cause of fatal accidents behind drink driving and there is no way you can drive for 24 hours straight without getting fatigued and driving through the night when there is a risk of ice and snow doesn't help. For safeties sake please reconsider and take an overnight stop.

Default Harsh Reality

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First and foremost, and for easily the hundredth time on these forums: It is unsafe and totally foolish to think that you can drive for 24 hours straight and still be in any shape to operate a two-ton vehicle at highway speeds. The fact that you've done it before is the same 'fact' that someone who has 'won' at Russian Roulette cites. You will find no support here or from anyone else who has to share the roads with you for such an ill-advised attempt.

Secondly, yes - the Port Angeles to Victoria ferry shuts down annually from just after New Year's until the end of February. That leaves, as your only viable option (other than flying) for getting onto Vancouver Island, driving to Tsawwassen southwest of Vancouver, taking the ferry from there to Swartz Bay, and finishing by driving into Victoria from the north. That also means that you have to cross the border at a highway crossing where they can deny you entry if they feel that it is unsafe for you to drive on their roads. And it will be.

AZBuck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First and foremost, and for easily the hundredth time on these forums: It is unsafe and totally foolish to think that you can drive for 24 hours straight and still be in any shape to operate a two-ton vehicle at highway speeds. The fact that you've done it before is the same 'fact' that someone who has 'won' at Russian Roulette cites. You will find no support here or from anyone else who has to share the roads with you for such an ill-advised attempt.

Secondly, yes - the Port Angeles to Victoria ferry shuts down annually from just after New Year's until the end of February. That leaves, as your only viable option (other than flying) for getting onto Vancouver Island, driving to Tsawwassen southwest of Vancouver, taking the ferry from there to Swartz Bay, and finishing by driving into Victoria from the north. That also means that you have to cross the border at a highway crossing where they can deny you entry if they feel that it is unsafe for you to drive on their roads. And it will be.

AZBuck
    Thanks for your advice. I'll keep out in mind and try and divide the trip over a sleep.
    In regards with "deny you entry if they feel that it is unsafe for you to drive on their eoads. And it will be." Do you say that just because you're assuming that somehow they're going to share your skepticism about my driving or did you actually have some sort of insider on this one??

Again, thanks.

5. Default

Thanks for your advice.
    Cheers!

Default Been There, Done That

It's not 'insider information', just experience. I have been denied entry into Canada once and given an 18 hour visa another time. Each time I learned a little more about the laws governing entry into Canada. And the Canadian border guards take them seriously. They will not let you in if they deem you a threat to the safety and welfare of their citizens. You have no 'right' to enter Canada. Keep that in mind.

You will also need a passport to cross the border.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You will also need a passport to cross the border.
    Or a "card" for crossing the border with Mexico and Canada, and a couple of other places. It is the size of a driver's license and costs a lot less than a regular passport.