1. Default Winter route from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas

Hello

Family of 3 with young child traveling from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas for Christmas. Would like to know which is the safest route to use and place to spend a night along the route seeing that it will be a long drive. Any input/ advise in truly appreciated. Thank you!

Default Limited Choices

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There really aren't that many different ways to get from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas. Basically, you'll have to choose between US-395 and US-95 as your main route south, and between US-50 and CA-207 as your route out of the Lake Tahoe basin to your choice of route south. You are probably much more familiar than I am with the two routes east out of the Lake Tahoe area. Both have to cross the Carson Range and so will involve some mountain driving so I'd probably base my choice on two factors. The first is keeping the route as short as possible which would mean using US-50 if you're leaving from the north end of Lake Tahoe and using CA-207 if you're leaving from the south end.

There is a bit more to choose from in deciding between US-395 and US-95. US-95 is both shorter and at lower elevation (thus warmer) than US-395, so that would be the option I'd choose. So your route would go (once you've crossed the Carson Range) US-395 south through Gardnerville to Holbrook Junction. There take NV-208 east and north to Yerington and Alt-US-95 south (east) to Schurz and US-95 south the rest of the way to Las Vegas.

It would be possible to make that drive in a single day dedicated to driving, but breaking it up with an overnight along the way would make the trip easier on you and give you time to make some stops en route. Tonopah NV is the obvious choice since it is both the largest town on your drive and is just about half way.

AZBuck

Buck, it's NV-207 (Kingsbury Grade).