Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vegas to San Francisco in 1 day??

Hi there, just wondering if it's possible to do this trip in a day, we are looking for the quickest way possible driving ourselves, traveling from Australia ��

Default It's doable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Yes it's possible but won't be a lot of fun. You would take I-15/ca58/I-5/I-580. Probably looking at 11 hours travelling in the 'real world', depending on where from Vegas and where in SF, so get an early start.

3. Default Thanks southwest dave

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Yes it's possible but won't be a lot of fun. You would take I-15/ca58/I-5/I-580. Probably looking at 11 hours travelling in the 'real world', depending on where from Vegas and where in SF, so get an early start.

Thanks heaps!! Would you say 11 hours including break for lunch and dinner? What are the roads like and what should I know! I'm from Australia and cross country driving is completely flat and quiet for hours on end.

Default It's a shame to miss so much.

It would give you time for short breaks from the car but as mentioned it is dependent on traffic congestion and unforeseen delays. You are looking at Interstate for most of your journey which is quite heavy travelled. It's a real shame in many ways as you will be driving right by some of the wests most amazing National parks and scenic drives. Without knowing the rest of your itinerary it's impossible to suggest how you could fit some of that in or if it were possible. You don't say when in Fall or winter you are travelling and although big delays due to poor weather are not common on Interstate, it can slow everything down as it should for safety.

Default Forget home - there is no comparison.

Hi Ely, it would be of great help if we knew your complete itinerary, and the length of your stay in the US.

As Dave said, you will be passing by some of the most incredible country on this planet, and through some areas that are very heavily travelled.

What brought you to LV in the first place, and what is your plan for SF. How long will you be in either place, and do you have plans for the national parks near either city? When members here can see the whole picture, the advice you get will be so much more relevant.

You cannot equate travelling in the US with travelling at home. There is no comparison. The interstates are all high speed divided multi lane roads, which carry the bulk of the nations traffic. There are minor more scenic roads, which are not as heavily travelled, but do take longer. No where in the US can you travel for hours, let alone days, without coming to a town or city.

Lifey

6. Default 13th december

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Hi Ely, it would be of great help if we knew your complete itinerary, and the length of your stay in the US.

As Dave said, you will be passing by some of the most incredible country on this planet, and through some areas that are very heavily travelled.

What brought you to LV in the first place, and what is your plan for SF. How long will you be in either place, and do you have plans for the national parks near either city? When members here can see the whole picture, the advice you get will be so much more relevant.

You cannot equate travelling in the US with travelling at home. There is no comparison. The interstates are all high speed divided multi lane roads, which carry the bulk of the nations traffic. There are minor more scenic roads, which are not as heavily travelled, but do take longer. No where in the US can you travel for hours, let alone days, without coming to a town or city.

Lifey

Hey guys thanks for responding ! We are in Las Vegas for my birthday and headed to San Francisco for 3 days, so there isn't much leeway between for a long trip, but flights are so expensive and we wanted to get in a bit of driving. We are headed to la, Vegas, sf, Portland, Seattle and New York for a bit of background info.

The day we leave Vegas will be a Sunday morning- what are your opinions on time/ when we should leave what routes we should take etc? In the end we really are looking for the fastest way, unfortunately that's just how our schedule has turned out!

7. Default

Hi there see below :)

If you've only got 1 day, then your only option is to take the route described above. It's pretty much all freeway, and you'll miss all of the amazing places in between the two points. Since it's an all day drive, you should leave fairly early, but as long as you don't depart in the afternoon, traffic shouldn't be too bad.

I'll be honest, I think you might better off flying. A one way car rental is typically going to cost as much as plane tickets. While this is a roadtrip site, With your tight schedule, this drive doesn't seem like the bestuse of your time.

Since it's an all day drive, you should leave fairly early, but as long as you don't depart in the afternoon, traffic shouldn't be too bad.
    This is especially true if you are going to take CA-58. It is closed at night, westbound, for construction - an aftermath of the huge mudslide a few weeks back.

Donna

Default It is such a shame you won't see the best the US has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellysheehy View Post
    We are headed to la, Vegas, sf, Portland, Seattle and New York for a bit of background info.
    What a pity, you are missing all the great natural wonders of the world, Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. After a while all cities start to look the same.... shops, traffic and crowds.

I think a birthday celebration in Yosemite/Grand Canyon would be unforgettable.

Lifey