1. Default I 75 vs I 95 Buffalo to Florida?

Hello.. I have driven the most direct route which most travel planning guides recommend between Buffalo and Naples, FL..This goes through the Mountains of West Virginia and then heads East to the I-95 and somewhat straight run.. to Florida.

Naples is on the West end of Florida, however, and the I-75 is the most direct route from North Florida to South Florida.

I was wondering if anyone has travelled ORIGINATING IN Buffalo , going through Cincinnati and then STRAIGHT ON THE I 75.

It seems more direct in many ways.

Is it a pleasant drive, straightforward, easy to navigate?

I am used to the other way, so that is easy for me.. but just wondering about going a different way.

thanks
    alice

Going over to Cincinnati and down I-75 adds about 125 miles - so roughly 10% more distance - and basically turns this from a 2.5 day trip into closer to 3 full days. The biggest challenge would be that it takes you right through Atlanta, which sees some of the worst traffic in the country.

The route through West Virginia basically is a straight shot south - you never really go "east" to I-95, which is why it is shorter. Going out to Cincinnati involves a pretty big swing to the west before heading southeast, but if you've got the extra time, and just want some variety, it's certainly a route worth considering.

Default I'd Stick with What You've Done

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The only real reason that I can see for heading for Cincinnati and taking I-75 is for the sake of seeing a different bit of the country. There are two things working against it, neither of them major. The first is that going by way of Cincinnati is 100 miles or so longer than the route you've been using, and second is that it goes through Atlanta which can rival major northeastern cities such as Washington and New York for terrible traffic, particularly during rush hours. One other thing to weigh in the balance, depending on how you feel about it, is the fact that your 'usual' route goes through the Appalachians and gets you some mountain driving/scenery, whereas going via Cincinnati does not.

AZBuck

If you are looking for the quickest route, there are a couple "shortcuts" you can take that will take you off the Interstates.

Take I-90 to I-79. At Exit 57 in WV, take US-19 south. It's multi-lane divided near-freeway quality. That will take you to I-77 in Prosperity. At Columbia SC, take I-26 to I-95. Take the northwest I-295 bypass around Jacksonville to I-10 west, take that to US-301 south to just north of Ocala to FL-326 west to pick up I-75.

Note - I'd take the west I-485 bypass around Charlotte.

Note 2: On US-19, do NOT speed through Summersville. There's a radar trap in the Walmart lot, speed limit is 50 and strictly enforced.

Default From memory.

When I drove from southern FL to Cincinnati, the roads I particularly enjoyed as scenic routes, but still a divided highway, was US27/alt27 from Ocala to Tallahassee. Headed north from there, and picked up I-75 at Chattanooga. I recall it as an enjoyable drive, other than the two hour hold up because of a fatal accident up ahead.

Lifey

6. Default

thank you so much!! to Midwest Michael,AZ Buck,glc and lifemagician. You all added a LOT to my understanding of the difference in the routes..!! Thanks for the shortcut tips, glc.. I have to look at my past itineraries to make sure I follow all the shortcuts.. Most of them I recognize except the short cut around Charlotte.. Isn't the 'summerville area speed trap heaven' fun.. ?? So hard to go so slow for so long..especially when making good time on the interstates.. nevertheless,
    THANK YOU ALL.. probably going the tried and true olde route I am used to.. Going through or near Atlanta was the "clincher' I do not want to do that! really do not like driving around big busy cities if I can avoid it at all.!
    Many thanks
    alice
    Last edited by alicemagooeys; 10-27-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

That's not a shortcut around Charlotte - it's a bypass to avoid downtown traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    That's not a shortcut around Charlotte - it's a bypass to avoid downtown traffic.
    Let me put my 2-cents'-worth in, I grew up in Kenmore and still have relatives in WNY, so I go up there from Augusta, GA frequently. I only discovered the I-485 bypass around Charlotte on my last trip home, it is only adds a few miles to the trip, and the road is wide and open. I think I counted six lanes.

I'm also familiar with the WV-19 bypass, and that also takes you over the New River suspension bridge just south of Summersville. If you have time, stop and take the short hike to the overlook. glc definitely gave you the best route to Ocala from Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kline View Post
    I'm also familiar with the WV-19 bypass, and that also takes you over the New River suspension bridge just south of Summersville. If you have time, stop and take the short hike to the overlook. glc definitely gave you the best route to Ocala from Buffalo.
    The nerd in me needs to point out that the New River Gorge Bridge is a Steel Arch Bridge - at one point the longest one in the world - not a suspension bridge.

If you have time, in addition to the overlook, consider driving the "old road," where you actually go down into the gorge, cross the river, and come back up the other side, like travelers had to do before the Bridge was built. There is a free audio tour on CD from the Visitors Center. The drive takes about 45 minutes, plus whatever you spend at the many scenic spots along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    The nerd in me needs to point out that the New River Gorge Bridge is a Steel Arch Bridge - at one point the longest one in the world - not a suspension bridge.

If you have time, in addition to the overlook, consider driving the "old road," where you actually go down into the gorge, cross the river, and come back up the other side, like travelers had to do before the Bridge was built. There is a free audio tour on CD from the Visitors Center. The drive takes about 45 minutes, plus whatever you spend at the many scenic spots along the way.
    Good catch, Michael. I knew that it was a steel arch bridge, but my brain didn't catch up to my typing. There is a weekend every year when the bridge is closed to traffic and they allow B.A.S.E jumpers to parachute off the bridge. I've never done the old road, but will definitely take it the next trip. Thanks for the tip on the free Audio tour CD, too.
    Roadhawk