1. Default Texas to North Carolina 2 week trip

Hi,

We are a couple of guys from the UK, in our 30s, planning a Road Trip next May from Dallas, TX to Charlotte, NC and are looking for any tips on good places to stop along the way.

We've got 2 weeks to do the trip and are interested in anything car, music or history related. I've already got a couple of ideas for places, Graceland, Smoky Mountains, Charlotte Motor Speedway but was hoping for some less famous stops too.

I've also read that its worth avoiding the Interstates and using the old US highways - is this the best option? Is it just as easy to find accomodation etc on these roads?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NewTripper; 10-26-2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Grammar errors

Default Other Than the Obvious

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Given the places you've already listed as targets for your trip, here are a few other roads and sites to consider. First of all, the 'old' US highway system is a perfectly good way to see the country. It will take a little longer since by and large it is not motorway quality (think 'A' road instead) and typically goes through small towns rather than around them. But then that can be part of its charm. A good map will also show you that many Interstate highways run parallel to the older US routes (after all, they're connecting the same city pairs) - for example US-67 runs alongside I-30 through much of Arkansas.

Some other attractions you might want to consider: Crater of Diamonds State Park and Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas; Mud Island, Beale Street, and Sun Studio in Memphis; and if you're going to Graceland. it might be well worth your time to take US-78 out of Memphis to Tupelo MS and see where 'the King' started out. That would also set you up to drive at least a piece of the Natchez Trace Parkway up to the Shiloh area and beyond to Nashville. After exiting Great Smoky Mountains National Park, you can take a bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway to I-26/US-74 and follow the later road the rest of the way into Charlotte. But take a look at a short detour into South Carolina and one of the major battlefields of the American Revolution, King's Mountain. And sprinkled throughout your travels will be any number of historic sites from our colonial period, the Revolution, and the Civil War. Good maps (often available for free from state tourist bureaus) are your best option for seeing what's available to you. On-line mapping routines are pretty bad in this regard.

AZBuck

Default Maps.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    A good map will also show you that many Interstate highways run parallel to the older US routes (after all, they're connecting the same city pairs) - for example US-67 runs alongside I-30 through much of Arkansas.
    If good detailed maps are not available locally, you would be best off purchasing a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. Good maps are invaluable during the planning stage, and essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely on only electronics.

These maps have all the places Buck mentioned on them, and you might even find more places and scenic routes to interest you.

Lifey

4. Default

Brilliant - thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll definitely be checking out the maps, I hadn't been sure where to look for these.